Riding backpacks

I've used magnetic tank bags for year-round daily commuting with laptops, cell phones, cameras, etc in them, and the only time I have ever had an issue is when I left the laptop running while I rode into work.

Since the hard drive heads were not parked they crashed into the platters and caused damage to the hard drive. We were able to send the drive into a special data retrieval shop and they were able to recover all the data but it cost nearly $2000.

1. the failure wasn't due to the magnets
2. turn computers off before riding (if you have a traditional platter hard drive)

Besides, tanks bags also provide partial wind protection and you can load them with way more stuff than you can a backpack.

I've used magnetic tank bags for year-round daily commuting with laptops, cell phones, cameras, etc in them, and the only time I have ever had an issue is when I left the laptop running while I rode into work.

Since the hard drive heads were not parked they crashed into the platters and caused damage to the hard drive. We were able to send the drive into a special data retrieval shop and they were able to recover all the data but it cost nearly $2000.

2. turn computers off before riding (if you have a traditional platter hard drive)

Besides, tanks bags also provide partial wind protection and you can load them with way more stuff than you can a backpack.

i love my icon urban tank bag. the only complaint i have which is my own fault is that the magnets are almost too strong. when i gassed up before, i put the bag on the ground and the magnets picked up tiny pieces of metal, so the next time i took the tank bag off it scratched the shit out of my tank. now whenever i take the tank bag off for whatever reason, i make sure the magnets have no contact with the ground or anything.

how is the zipper quality on the EMS pack looks pretty nice and a good price as well.Tankbag gets in the way and I dont like the scratches,tailbag or bungee on the tail is no good since i have a seat cowl.I have never ridden with a backpack but I just dont like strapping stuff on my bike although a hard case would be ultra handy.I usually get whoever I'm riding with to carry my junk,thank god the wife rides a cruiser/pack mule.

i use a Timbuk2 messenger bag. made from ballistic nylon, water proof and infinitely customizable to your taste in color and/or function. the messenger bag uses a sling or quiver type strap but they also make a backpack option with two straps.

btw: they are made in good 'ol USA and they guarantee their bags will last a lifetime. they will even take your old bag and recycle it and give you a credit for a new one. :2cents:

check them out:
Timbuk2 Bags - Timbuk2

I still would not ever recommend keeping electronics with HDD that close to a Magnet. But very good advice about making sure you shut your Lappy off before riding.

I was at Target last night and they had some backpacks on sale, I almost bought a Swiss Gear one that was nice until I saw this one for $40.00:
ful > Tennman
The quality of build on this pack was superior to just about everything else I found on the shelves, and the straps look very comfortable if I want to use it without my Riding Jacket on as well. I plan to start using it during my commute this week and will let you guys know how I end up liking it.

I still would not ever recommend keeping electronics with HDD that close to a Magnet.

Urban myth. This was true in 1990 with floppy disks but it takes a really strong magnet to do such any damage to hard disk drives. If I understand correctly, the kind of magnet that will do damage to a hard drive will surely do more damage to your fuel tank in the process. :Rockon:

Last edited:
PJ! You were correct my friend the backpack is awesome! Nice zippers, well organized pockets, breaths well when it on you back, straps are comfy, and zippers nice and solid. Perfecto! Thanks again friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at Target last night and they had some backpacks on sale, I almost bought a Swiss Gear one that was nice until I saw this one for $40.00:
ful > Tennman
The quality of build on this pack was superior to just about everything else I found on the shelves, and the straps look very comfortable if I want to use it without my Riding Jacket on as well. I plan to start using it during my commute this week and will let you guys know how I end up liking it.

Update:

I have been using this pack for a few weeks now and really like it. Even when loaded with my laptop, a small notebook and lunch it feels light on my back. Build quality is great, I can see this pack lasting a very long time before I ever need to consider replacing it.

PJ! You were correct my friend the backpack is awesome! Nice zippers, well organized pockets, breaths well when it on you back, straps are comfy, and zippers nice and solid. Perfecto! Thanks again friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no problem backpack buddy! i love the thing too. good for just about any application i can think of

Back