Ride to Alaska from Washington State

Hello, Any one ridden to Alaska from Washington State? If so, are their gas stations approx. 100 miles interspersed along the way to Anchorage? I plan a trip from northern California on a 2008 FZ1 to Anchorage. I would appreciate hearing your experience on the journey. The FZ1 can go 100 miles per tank with avg speed of 80mph. I haven't pushed the bike to see if 130 miles per tank is possible. Thanks.

I have not done the trip but the first thing i thought was the window of good weather will be short, and i wouldnt dare do that trip without a few modern gas cans. They make em small and easily stowable now a days.

Don't forget you'll be packed like a loaded mule so probably don't expect mfr suggested mileage. I thought I read 180 miles between a couple of gas stations in Canada, easily doable with remote tank or a Gen 1. Plenty of Youtube and adventure articles on the subject. Even google maps gives pretty good details.

Don't forget you'll be packed like a loaded mule so probably don't expect mfr suggested mileage. I thought I read 180 miles between a couple of gas stations in Canada, easily doable with remote tank or a Gen 1. Plenty of Youtube and adventure articles on the subject. Even google maps gives pretty good details.
Thanks.

Is there a awesome seat available for a gen2? What about a big windscreen? Some creature comforts are going to be mandatory.

What's the farthest you've ridden in one shot? How many hours you planning a day?
You need to be prepared for such a trip as much as your bike.

This is a 6000 mile round about trip, into an area where things are scarce.

Tires got 6000 miles in them? I've seen people need new ones on the trip.

Everything else on the bike ready for 6000 miles without issue? Brakes, chain, bearings, hoses, bulbs, rotor, ect? These bikes are reliable but it's still over 15 years old

You need to carry extra gas, food, water, shelter, tools, ect. Just cause there is a gas station doesn't mean it's open. I've been to multimillion dollar truck stops that of course it will have gas only to find it was hit by lightning and nothing is currently working.

Just need to travel like it's 1940, and be able to answer, "and what will you do if that doesn't work out?"

What's the farthest you've ridden in one shot? How many hours you planning a day?
You need to be prepared for such a trip as much as your bike.

This is a 6000 mile round about trip, into an area where things are scarce.

Tires got 6000 miles in them? I've seen people need new ones on the trip.

Everything else on the bike ready for 6000 miles without issue? Brakes, chain, bearings, hoses, bulbs, rotor, ect? These bikes are reliable but it's still over 15 years old

You need to carry extra gas, food, water, shelter, tools, ect. Just cause there is a gas station doesn't mean it's open. I've been to multimillion dollar truck stops that of course it will have gas only to find it was hit by lightning and nothing is currently working.

Just need to travel like it's 1940, and be able to answer, "and what will you do if that doesn't work out?"
You just gave me a wake up call. I believe 700 miles is the max ridden in one day. Replacing the rear shock with Nitron R1 shocks and a 0.25" seat cover has saves my back. Service on bike has been timely. Handlebar has been replaced with upright, backward tilt bar. 3000 miles to anchorage. Thanks for the heads up.

Is there a awesome seat available for a gen2? What about a big windscreen? Some creature comforts are going to be mandatory.
I use a 0.25" thick seat cover made from advanced polymer that I have used on stock seats. The material reduces vibration and enables rides for many hours on stock seats.

Back