Rerouting cables - Airbox Mod

sychodan

hi all :)

I´ve done my Airbox mod last year (step1, the front plastic of the airbox is still there, just made the whole bigger and removed the snorkel)

I´m now thinking about to do the full mod (removing the front plastic also) and rerouting the cables, couse i haven´t done that yet.

My question is: How do i reroute them? are the cables with plugs which i can disconnect etc or how should i start here?
Is there a guide for it?

Big thx in advance (and sorry for my bad broken english)

Best regards from Germany,
Dan

Last edited:
Its pretty straight forward. Just disconnect each cable at its junction, usually under the tank, pull them through the frame and route them down the side of the frame and reconnect them. Their is enough cable length to do this without any modifications.

Not worth the effort. That's what Ivan says anyways, and he probably knows! I actually did it ages ago but it did take some trial and error to get things routed safely. . . Basically, factory routing is probably the best for the protection of the wiring. There is apparently no performance gain from doing it so why bother?

Not worth the effort. That's what Ivan says anyways, and he probably knows! I actually did it ages ago but it did take some trial and error to get things routed safely. . . Basically, factory routing is probably the best for the protection of the wiring. There is apparently no performance gain from doing it so why bother?

Aww wish i had known this before spending an entire evening sorting it!!!

Not to dig up a thread that has probably been beaten to death already in this forum and others -

I do not have PC and do not intend to get one. I saw some dynos that show the airbox mod doesn't really do all to much - the theory behind it makes sense enough though.

Should I bother re-routing the cables at all to allow for more air flow if I am not modding the intake at all? I was thinking it may help provide more air in that small area. With the tank off and airbox off already I am looking at the intake holes and cannot believe how small they are... If it doesn't give me any gains I am going to plug the harness back in.

Thanks!

^^ I did, more of a reason to question me having already taken out my air-box to do this. I found the post looking more into it on Google and since it was only a few months old I decided to grave dig instead of creating another thread asking for current opinions.

On another note: I installed oxford headed grips and the control unit is on the right side of the bike just above the air intake, 3M pad stuck to the frame with a zip tie over it because I could not find a better spot that wouldn't be so messy. This meant that the large round connector went on the side of the bike and I was originally going to stuff it into the air intake before I realized, oh wait that is the air intake...

None the less the cables are still in the vicinity further restricting the airflow by just the smallest bit. Since I already had the air-box off I decided to re route the cables on the left side and left the ones coming through the right out the left over the ECU intact (These are the headlight and turn signal indicator lights). I did this at this point mainly because I decided it would be a good stress relief for me knowing I will receive no performance gains. At least I know I am not going to be running to rich by blocking the air intake (note my Oxford cables are hanging over the top of the intake a bit, I did not stuff them in there and they are not truly obstructing the airway).

Back