Request from a new Owner

AML

Hey guys! I live in Japan and I just bought a 2010 FZ1 Fazer!

I love the bike, its an awesome ride.

BUT, the Japanese FZ1 has a few major flaws.

1. Jp spec: 94ps(69kW)/ 9,000rpm :(

(US spec:147.91 HP (108.0 kW)) @ 11000 RPM) all stock

2. The Japanese FZ1 has a speed limiter which kicks in at 170kph :shame:

So my request to you is:

What do I need to do make my bike full spec? (like the US FZ1)

I will be removing the limiter (at a cost of $500....) as it doesnt interfeer with the "Sha ken" or "MOT" the bike has to pass after 3 years

But since it does have to pass, there is a limit to what I can do regarding the exhaust system.

I cant gut the Cat and I need to choose my muffler carefully. But one thing I could do is keep the stock exhaust and just re-attach the day I go for the check.

Anyway, a list of what I should do to the bike would be really helpfull! :)

Cheers!

(I will post pics once I have made a few mods, right now its just stock all black 2010 model)

Last edited:
If you're needing to return the bike back to stock for the MOT test, it would probably be easier to fit parts that are easily changeable.

I'd personally go for either an end can or full system, Power Commander, Air Filter and a remap to suit. I'd avoid things like modding the airbox unless you've got a standard replacement to go back to for the MOT.

Im not exactly sure what the test intails, but i heard they just check for sound output and possibly emissions.

But yeah, the can would be the easiest thing to replace for the test.

I was thinking Akrapovic:)

I dont know that much at this point about things like the air filtration system, so what exactly would it do if I changed it?

I think modding the flies would give me some boost in power so im thinking about doing that too!

After the can and the flies what else could I do to increase power?

147hp? A stock FZ1 does'nt make that maybe with a few mods and tuning i would talk to @ Ivans performance.com he will probably be able sort you out with advice to unleash the beast within!!!.

The first thing I would do is speak to a knowledgeable tech who could tell me exactly how/why they tamed the bike down from the U.S./Euro versions. It's possible that they choked down the intack with restricters or something like that or did the same to the exhaust end. If one or both of these were done, a simple pipe change may may it louder but probably isn't going to make any power difference. Before you start to shoot in the dark, you need to know exactly what yu are starting with. Also, be sure you know what you're dealing with on the legal side for "tampering". You could end up wishing you had left it stock. In 1973 I arrived in Hawaii with a modified car only to find out I couldn't get it licensed because I did't have proof that I legally obtained all the modified parts. Luckilly I was an airman and had access to free legal advice. Even with that it was a real PIA!:gagged:

Try FazerItalia: il valore aggiunto! they have alot of menbers there that have to deal with such motor-retard-detune issues, with countries like France were HP is limited.

You can translate in the top right, just below in the same area is the words 'FORUM' you will need to hit 'forum' to access the forum of course and if translation is needed 'likely' then you have that option at the top right.

Last edited:
The first thing I would do is speak to a knowledgeable tech who could tell me exactly how/why they tamed the bike down from the U.S./Euro versions. It's possible that they choked down the intack with restricters or something like that or did the same to the exhaust end. If one or both of these were done, a simple pipe change may may it louder but probably isn't going to make any power difference. Before you start to shoot in the dark, you need to know exactly what yu are starting with. Also, be sure you know what you're dealing with on the legal side for "tampering". You could end up wishing you had left it stock. In 1973 I arrived in Hawaii with a modified car only to find out I couldn't get it licensed because I did't have proof that I legally obtained all the modified parts. Luckilly I was an airman and had access to free legal advice. Even with that it was a real PIA!:gagged:

I think thats the best thing to do for me right now.

Im gonna go back to the Yamaha dealer and ask what exactly they do to the FZ1 in Japan before releasing it...

From the outside both bikes look exactly the same (same exhaust and so on) so im guessing all the changes are internal.

Perhaps the speed limiter I was talking about does more than just cut off the bikes power at 170kph, it might choke the engine too.

Ill make sure and check out those websites too!

Thanks for your advice guys! :)

Ill keep you posted and ill post some pics soon ;)

Hey guys! I live in Japan and I just bought a 2010 FZ1 Fazer!

I love the bike, its an awesome ride.

BUT, the Japanese FZ1 has a few major flaws.

1. Jp spec: 94ps(69kW)/ 9,000rpm :(

(US spec:147.91 HP (108.0 kW)) @ 11000 RPM) all stock

2. The Japanese FZ1 has a speed limiter which kicks in at 170kph :shame:

So my request to you is:

What do I need to do make my bike full spec? (like the US FZ1)

I will be removing the limiter (at a cost of $500....) as it doesnt interfeer with the "Sha ken" or "MOT" the bike has to pass after 3 years

But since it does have to pass, there is a limit to what I can do regarding the exhaust system.

I cant gut the Cat and I need to choose my muffler carefully. But one thing I could do is keep the stock exhaust and just re-attach the day I go for the check.

Anyway, a list of what I should do to the bike would be really helpfull! :)

Cheers!

(I will post pics once I have made a few mods, right now its just stock all black 2010 model)

Try this site:Japanese Spec Full Power Converters | Magical Racing

It has a electronic device that is said to return the FZ to it's full potential.

I was wondering if I'm missing something on the Gen.1 FZ? Is there any 'black box' or some such that the carburated bikes have that can be changed to re-map anything? or have an improvement? I know about Ivans Advancer and jet kits and cans, but am I overlooking something?

I know in the UK Suzuki SV650 can be restricted to 25hp with a chip in the ECU if you are on a provisional licence and when you get your full you remove the chip and waha 70hp, i would guess Yamaha has done something similar to the Jap models which sucks for you. Talk to a decent tunning tech Ivan seems to know most things about these issues.

bewarethefuzz may be another source of information since he is in Japan and tours all over countryside. Has never made any mention of being detuned, but may not be a concern......

Back