Replace right grip?

FZ!

The shop manual says I cannot replace just the right grip due to the throttle assembly, but no other details. Can I do it......obviously I have seen and read about it being done, but how?

Also I have head good things about BMW Sport-Grips as replacement to my thin ones on my 2005 FZ1.....any thoughts?

I don't understand?? Why not?? Grips don't last forever and periodically need to be changed. If that were the case they would only sell one grip in a pack and not two. When I replaced mine, I simply took an exacto knife and carefully scored the grip the long way, making sure to not cut too deep. I removed the old one and cleaned the throttle assembly with alcohol and removed any old glue. I then applied the new adhesive and spread it over the assembly. I slipped the new grip over and worked it into place. If you blow air into the end of it the grip goes on much easier. I let the glue set overnight, and it's been on securely ever since.

Yamaha only sells the grip as an assembly with the throttle tube, but as Billy points out, you can cut the old grip off the tube and use an aftermarket set of grips. Some fit better than others over the stock throttle tube, but I've had good luck with Superbike grips.

Yamaha only sells the grip as an assembly with the throttle tube, but as Billy points out, you can cut the old grip off the tube and use an aftermarket set of grips. Some fit better than others over the stock throttle tube, but I've had good luck with Superbike grips.

Those are what I use also. They are great and last a long time. They are also inexpensive. I think I paid only $11.99 at Cyclegear.

Back