renntec grab rail problem

silentg

hi guys,

i recently purchased a renntec grabrail for my fz1 n. all fine and good as i thought, a little more security for my pillion, who ever that may be :)
at the moment i have lovely sweet cowl on my bike. not sure whether the cowls are basically the same but it fits nice and snug, you do have to push a little on the rear to lock it.
anyway, came to fit it yesterday and for some unknown reason i cannot for the life of me get the pillion seat to lock (click into lock position) it pushes down so much but fails to lock.:wtf: i mean you can grip the rear of the seat and it will pull up with not much trouble at all. definately not good for security!!!

ok ok, yes i tried a few different way of putting the rail on in the first place, slight wiggles here and there, leaving the washers off the top bolts etc etc but still.... the same result, not gonna lock.
perhaps i have just got one of those few rails that are slightly faulty or something, i dunno.
i did place the rail on a perfectly flat surface and one side seems to not sit flatly on the floor. a slight difference in height if you know what i mean. :confused:

anyhoooo i contacted the seller of the rail who has been more than helpful, in fact they are arranging a collection of the rail. hopefully supplying me with a replacement

is there any other way of adjusting the lock height to possibly bring it higher up so the lock mechanism can well.... lock?

sorry for the epic post for such a simple thing

Without being able to see what exactly is happening, it's difficult to guess what the problem is. But, I'd say things should be level to mate up properly from what I've seen on my bike so if it doesn't,maybe you got a defective part. Hopefully the replacement will cure your problem.

hi, thanks for your reply.

the problem seems to be that where the back part of the rail sits on the recesses in the frame surround is a bit higher than without. thats why the seat wasn't going to lock out.

hopefully it is a defective part and the replacement will fix this.

it would be nice if there was any other renntec grab rail users out there that already have them to find out if they had problems in fitting and securing the seat afterwards.

i was just wondering if there is any way of raising or lowering (which ever way you look at it) the seat catch on the underside of the pillion seat and therefore allow the seat to lock out

Back