renew brake fluid

bunky

My 03 has 59,000 kms.
I doubt the brake fluid has ever been changed and just wondered if its time.
If so, I will be putting in new speed bleeders and since I am there, new front pads and cleaning everything up.
Just want to confirm your thoughts.

Absolutely

I change mine every season, and since you don't know if and when yours was done, you definitely should. I'll bet it is pretty dark in the site glass. The stuff isn't expensive and old fluid can become a problem when you need your brakes the most.

My 03 has 59,000 kms.
I doubt the brake fluid has ever been changed and just wondered if its time.
If so, I will be putting in new speed bleeders and since I am there, new front pads and cleaning everything up.
Just want to confirm your thoughts.

Your up at about 37,000 miles so I'd say to also check the condition of your brake lines as well for cracking and wear. Over time the rubber lines break down and need replacing. I forget what the intervals is for the brake lines for the GenI.

I rechecked my site glass and it's very clear. Thats a good sign. I also checked my brake hoses and they look great too. There is a protective rubber sheath over all hoses which obviously keeps things protected.
Irregardless, I ordered the 3 speed bleeders as well as the crash bars and footpegs and clamps. This will give me some extra comfort to stretch and also protect the bike.
As always, thanks for the speedy and informative replies.

Fluid should be changed at minimum every other year. It absorbs moisture out of the air. If you look at your Master cylinder you will see 2 small holes in the cap, this allows for variance in pressure as pads wear. It will also allow fluid to boil out if over heated.
Those little holes also let moisture in. Nobody ever changes brake fluid but is that something you want to chance having a failure at speed? I don't!

I have found that changing brake fluids every 2 years [clutch also in cars], I never have problems with leaking master /slave or caliper [calliper in USA] rubbers

Actually it's just caliper.

You can buy a vacuum bleeder from Harbor Freight for like $27 and get high temp fluid for about $12 it'll take about a half hour to completely flush all the old fluid. The rear is a bit of a pain because the master cylinder is difficult to get to.
You can use the bleeder for everything else and definitely make it worth your while.
For less than $50 and a half hour of your time to ensure everything works as intended at speeds of 100+ is worth it if ya ask me.

Last edited:
I change it every 6 months or so. With a Mity Vac I can do several bikes in an hour. Even with the nice Motul RF600 fluid, it is cheap insurance and keeps your brakes clean, fresh, and moisture free.

Back