Removing the GYTR pipe's packing?

mjfreuland

Ok so i just took out the packing in my GYTR slip on. I wanted to know if this is bad for the bike or the pipe in any way? like will the extra heat to the carbon fiber be damaging or something like that???

Why did you do that? Was it damaged? Without it there wont be much, if any, noise reduction from the muffler. I would imagine that the extra heat and exhaust pressure may be detrimental to the cf sleeve on there.

well the packing looks like it could be replaced, but i love how it sounds without it. but if its going to be harmful to the bike in any way i'm probably going to put it back in when it cools off

well the packing looks like it could be replaced, but i love how it sounds without it. but if its going to be harmful to the bike in any way i'm probably going to put it back in when it cools off

Well I wouldn't be too concerned about the rest of the bike, but the cf casing might not last as long. From what I remember reading that GYTR packing is meant to be replaced eventually. Not sure exactly how long the original lasts, but Yamaha does sell a packing kit for it. It's part number GYT-5PW93-33-KT and has an MSRP of $27.95.

haha yeah it is kinda like that here. I just put it back in though cause apparently it took away from my low end torque and I would rather have the power than the sound

haha yeah it is kinda like that here. I just put it back in though cause apparently it took away from my low end torque and I would rather have the power than the sound

Yea, you need a little back pressure in the exhaust. Otherwise as you saw low end torque goes right out the window.

Back