Removing Footpegs ONLY - Not Entire Rearset

I ordered a replacement set of all metal footpegs for my '07. Can't stand the look or feel of the Nerf OEM pegs.... Anyway, they are supposed to be a straight replacement for the pegs using the existing OEM rearsets. Here's the problem that I'm hoping someone has found a simple/easy solution to....

It looks like the pin that the footpegs pivot on is rivoted on the end instead of being held on with some kind of cotter pin. Really?.... Any help getting the OEM footpegs off without destroying the rearset brackets?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Looks like the rivet is pretty big and a pain. my suggestion would be to remove the rear set and get the peg in vise and get it super tight. You don't need to worry about it because you have new ones. Go up slowly in size with the drill bits and try and keep it as straight as possible to to catch the rear set. Its going to be tricky to keep the peg from folding as well. In my opinion it would almost be better to just buy new rear sets.

just though of this. you can take them to a local machine shop usually they do stuff like this for cheap. I had a distributor that had a rivet in it that i couldn't get out and they did it for free for me. once again a lot of work just for a foot peg.

Just take your dremal type rotary tool with a grinding bit and grind down the end of the rivet. That is what I did with mine. You can do the same thing to removed riveted master links from the chain. Every man should have one in the garage, if not, you know what to ask for for your birthday. :D

I used a hand drill with a 1/2 bit and basicly cut the riveted end off the bottom by drilling straight up the center with everything still installed on the bike. It took all of about 5 minutes to do both sides.

Last edited:
I ordered a replacement set of all metal footpegs for my '07. Can't stand the look or feel of the Nerf OEM pegs.... Anyway, they are supposed to be a straight replacement for the pegs using the existing OEM rearsets. Here's the problem that I'm hoping someone has found a simple/easy solution to....

It looks like the pin that the footpegs pivot on is rivoted on the end instead of being held on with some kind of cotter pin. Really?.... Any help getting the OEM footpegs off without destroying the rearset brackets?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Made these based on the stock footrest's as I did not want to destroy the originals. Cost stuff all - just some time and thought. Info is under FZ1 mods Gen 11.(two threads). Cheers.

Just take your dremal type rotary tool with a grinding bit and grind down the end of the rivet. That is what I did with mine. You can do the same thing to removed riveted master links from the chain. Every man should have one in the garage, if not, you know what to ask for for your birthday. :D

Yea, that would be my suggestion as well. Grinding off the bottom side of the rivet should allow it to pull straight up eventually...

Made these based on the stock footrest's as I did not want to destroy the originals. Cost stuff all - just some time and thought. Info is under FZ1 mods Gen 11.(two threads). Cheers.

Saw this when in research mode. Nicely executed mod. I shyed away from this for lack of machining talent....

Thanks to all!!!!

Thanks for the help. I figured there would be power tools involved but was really hoping for a "go-go gadget" trick that only Yamaha propeller-heads know. So dremel it is!

The pegs just shipped, so if you are a Yamaha propeller-head, chime in! There's still time. I'll post pics here when the job is done.

Verdict - 1/4" Drill!!!

Finally got around to the project. The dremel approach is a little sketchy unless you've got surgeon-like hand stability. A 1/4" drill bit pushed from the bottom worked flawlessly and if done straight will even push the pin out.

BTW - These are Protek Slash Cut pegs.

Thanks for all the input.

Finally got around to the project. The dremel approach is a little sketchy unless you've got surgeon-like hand stability. A 1/4" drill bit pushed from the bottom worked flawlessly and if done straight will even push the pin out.

BTW - These are Protek Slash Cut pegs.

Thanks for all the input.

They look good. Any increase in vibrations transmitted to the feet?

It's not difficult to drill the rivet out. Just drill with a smaller bit then the end cap, go light till the end cap spins off, easy peasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look good. Any increase in vibrations transmitted to the feet?

Not so that I've really noticed, but then I haven't been on any 300 mile rides. I've also done the stainless steel washer mod and the pegs feel solid - which I definitely prefer. Did a short canyon run yesterday afternoon and the vague peg feeling is gone!

Back