Removing down pipes

08fazer

Hey

I want to take my pipes off and give them a good polish.

Now i have never taken down pipes off i know its only a few bolts and a sensor. Its just i have hurd stories of studs snapping off. How likely is this to happen? The manofold bolts do look a bit rusty?

I know this is a bit of a nooby question so sorry about that lol

Thanks

Scott

Mine, while a little rusted, came off after 4 yrs without any issue. I hit them with WD40 two nights in a row without running the bike. If they are coming off hard or squeaking, stop and use more WD40. Twist them to the tight side a bit then ease them off.

Mine, while a little rusted, came off after 4 yrs without any issue. I hit them with WD40 two nights in a row without running the bike. If they are coming off hard or squeaking, stop and use more WD40. Twist them to the tight side a bit then ease them off.

Thanks yet again
:unworthy:

One more tip. Get a die that matches the stud and before loosening the nuts, run the die over the stud to clean and shape the threads and use plenty of 3-1 oil when doing so. Then you'll only need to worry about the tiny space you could not get. When the pipes are off, run the die on all 8 posts if you can before re-installing.

One more tip. Get a die that matches the stud and before loosening the nuts, run the die over the stud to clean and shape the threads and use plenty of 3-1 oil when doing so. Then you'll only need to worry about the tiny space you could not get. When the pipes are off, run the die on all 8 posts if you can before re-installing.

Just had another look and it seems that the treads arw ok its the top part of the pipes and the nuts that are rusty

Back