Removing Cat From Header Pipe ?

has any member removed their Cat , from the header pipe ? if so how ?
it seems to be stuck deep in the main header pipe & looks to be locked in tight , is there a easy way to remove it with out destroying the header pipe or damaging the Cat & then being stuck with a damaged Cat still stuck in the header ?

p.s. thanks in advance ;)

I found my cat sleeping on my seat one time and almost threw him across the garage. I don't think he's ever climbed on the headers though. Give him a swift kick and see if that works. If not try enticing him out with meow mix. LOL

it exists also a more scientific and effective method…. They is one spray it drives back dogs and catties , I believe they have the pharmacies. I spray 3-4 times around from the machine, and gone!

I found my cat sleeping on my seat one time and almost threw him across the garage. I don't think he's ever climbed on the headers though. Give him a swift kick and see if that works. If not try enticing him out with meow mix. LOL

haha , very funny .. :D ;) :rolleyes:

I performed a cat-ectomy last week before installing the new GYTR slip on. It is in fact attached to the header pipe and is 1 1/2" thick. It is relatively soft honeycombed material so it will break up. I used a long chisel and hammer and puched out around the perimeter of the cat and then down the middle to break it up into smaller pieces. There is a metal ring where it is attached to the pipe. You do not need to remove that.

The cautions would be to watch out for the O2 sensor that is mounted a bit behind the pre-cat. It wasn't a problem, just don't go punching way past the cat material. Also do not drive the cat material in so far back into the pipe that you can't get it out. I have hear of some folks using a hole saw or air chisel as well to break up the material.

Once you remove the big pieces, use a shop vacumn and get out as much of the little stuff as possible. Once you have done that, you can simply start up the bike and blow out the rest. I put a large box behind the exhaust so that I didn't pepper the neighbors hose with cat bits :eek:. Also if you are married warn your wife before starting the bike. It sounds like a hell broke loose. Cool though!

The job sounds scarier than it is. Take your time and use common sense. Once you see what was blocking the flow and engine pulses from moving in the pipe you will understand the benefit of the cat ectomy.

^^
once you have broken up the honeycomb material , does the cat come out as a whole section ? or is the outer ring still wedged in ?

The ring remains bonded to the pipe. You won't get it out, don't even try. The cat material will come out easire if you break it up. I suppose you could get it out in one piece depending on how you removed it in the first place.

^^
i will most likely leave the cat as it is , i am pleased with my FZ1's power output . if i wanted more grunt , i'd most likely fit a full tuned length exhaust system .

I performed a cat-ectomy last week before installing the new GYTR slip on. It is in fact attached to the header pipe and is 1 1/2\\\\\" thick. It is relatively soft honeycombed material so it will break up. I used a long chisel and hammer and puched out around the perimeter of the cat and then down the middle to break it up into smaller pieces. There is a metal ring where it is attached to the pipe. You do not need to remove that.

The cautions would be to watch out for the O2 sensor that is mounted a bit behind the pre-cat. It wasn't a problem, just don't go punching way past the cat material. Also do not drive the cat material in so far back into the pipe that you can't get it out. I have hear of some folks using a hole saw or air chisel as well to break up the material.

Once you remove the big pieces, use a shop vacumn and get out as much of the little stuff as possible. Once you have done that, you can simply start up the bike and blow out the rest. I put a large box behind the exhaust so that I didn't pepper the neighbors hose with cat bits :eek:. Also if you are married warn your wife before starting the bike. It sounds like a hell broke loose. Cool though!

The job sounds scarier than it is. Take your time and use common sense. Once you see what was blocking the flow and engine pulses from moving in the pipe you will understand the benefit of the cat ectomy.

Did you mean like this

didnt work wife's still here:scared::D

Last edited:
I drilled mine out while the headers were still on the bike. I used a long 8mm masonry bit and chain drilled around the circumference, pulled out the big chunks that broke off then chiseled the remaining bits away. Any dust was blown out when I fired the bike up before re-fitting the end can. Care needs to be taken not to shoot through the cat and into this O2 sensor with the drill; the sensor is quite a bit behind the cat so with care there is no problem.

There is a power increase, not sure how much.
I found a couple of pics of how the job goes, you can see the O2 sensor on the 2nd pic.

first20chunk2.jpg

before20cleanup2.jpg

Back