Remove Front Wheel

A man who doesn't use a spark plug socket because it's not the "proper" tool.... hangs his bike from the rafters with no wheels on it....

I use a spark plug socket... but I've got some pitbull stands man.

A man who doesn't use a spark plug socket because it's not the "proper" tool.... hangs his bike from the rafters with no wheels on it....

I use a spark plug socket... but I've got some pitbull stands man.

Touché. It's not nearly as shocking as seeing my Grandfather's Venture Royale in the same situation. In fairness, it's a quality strap.

What ever it takes... Git R' Dun!

I have an electric hoist in my garage... just lift the whole damned bike up with it and work without bending over. ;) Work smarter, not harder.... Hahaha!

I doubt the poor old rafters in my garage would take that kind of weight. As it is the strap is just for balance; most of the weight is on the centre stand. Sounds like a cool setup, though. I would go for that.

All buttoned up and out for a ride today!
tynaja3a.jpg
3uqeramy.jpg

...and now I have the tools for the next time I need tires.

Torque the brake caliper bolts to 40 Nm, the Axel to 72 Nm and the 6mm hex bolt after pressing hard down on the fork to settle the axle to 23 or 24 Nm.

40 Nautical Miles seems a lot for brake caliper bolts.What would the torque specs be in America if someone was using an American spec torque wrench?

The specs would be the same as in any other country ;)

I suppose that is quite true but we must remember that there are countries in the world where they drive on the wrong side of the road and they believe that is the world standard.

It isn't.

If I wanted to live in France and be socialized, I would grasp at metric but I don't seek to adopt the French standard. When France, Rhodesia and Bangladesh are leading the world, I will reconsider.

So..........the question is............what are the specs in good old American?

I believe america uses the English imperial system which would be foot pounds (ft/lb) for torque. You can use any unit convert website to put the metric Newton meters (Nm) value in and get the converted value back out.

FYI, here is a map of the world showing in green which countries use the metric system, and which countries don't (in red).

Attachments

• MetricMap.jpg
    MetricMap.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 78
Tip for removing front wheel GenII

I was in the same trouble that our friend, so because i didn't have the allen 19 mm, used a 3/4" head bolt and two nuts (one to lock the other one), and I handled it with a 19mm wrench from the outer nut. I will attach a picture of this empiric tool, it just did its work so good. I hope this advice could be useful when you don't have the 19 mm allen or the specializad socket for the ratchet. :sinister: IMG_20150124_184629967.jpgIMG_20150124_185744204.jpg

Just got it in the mail today. Ten bucks on EBay. My son lost my spark plug socket and the ones you buy now don't accept an extension through the socket side believe it or not. When you pull the rubber out it is round behind it and not square. They must be trying to save machining costs and don't keep it square all the way through. I'm happy I have the piece now and it does more than one size.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422558754483.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422558754483.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 72
Just got it in the mail today. Ten bucks on EBay. My son lost my spark plug socket and the ones you buy now don't accept an extension through the socket side believe it or not. When you pull the rubber out it is round behind it and not square. They must be trying to save machining costs and don't keep it square all the way through. I'm happy I have the piece now and it does more than one size.
I have one of these, they are excellent.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Imperial anything should of went the way of the dinosaurs, last century...

I was happy to see that my 3/4" allen wrench (works out to 19.05mm ) was a perfect fit for the front axle bolt.

Last edited:
Back