Remove centerstand ?

i just removed mine for a custom made exaust. I really like the centerstand for washing and maintenance, but it didnt look good with new exhaust and was time to go. I just removed the spring first and two large bolts it fell off. I put the bolts back in place and saved centerstand in case i ever wanted it back.

i just removed mine for a custom made exaust. I really like the centerstand for washing and maintenance, but it didnt look good with new exhaust and was time to go. I just removed the spring first and two large bolts it fell off. I put the bolts back in place and saved centerstand in case i ever wanted it back.

Hehe, thanks for the info, it's as good as GONE. I have a rear stand (I'm not sure what it's called) so I can lube the chain and such. The only problem is that I also feel that the spring for the sidestand is too soft, but maybe it's just in comparison to the FZ6.

Removed my centerstand when I installed my Yosh R-77 exhaust. Can't say I really miss it. I have swingarm spools installed that I use with my Pit Bull rear stand for chain maintenance. Oh and it shaves 5-6 lbs off the bike :D

I love having a centerstand; it's more stable and reliable in many situations. The OEM exhaust was not worth the extra weight, but I think the centerstand is worth it for me. But then, I'm an old fart who was used to BMW's.

I love having a centerstand; it's more stable and reliable in many situations. The OEM exhaust was not worth the extra weight, but I think the centerstand is worth it for me. But then, I'm an old fart who was used to BMW's.

I guess maybe that was the difference for me. This was my first bike ever with a centerstand so when I removed it wasn't a great loss...

I agree with psittacid; this is my first ever bike with a centerstand, and I love it. I have a work stand, but man the centerstand is so much easier to use, and even lets you work on the front end, if you have someone sit on the bike lifting the front wheel up.

No way I'll ever remove it; hell I can take a dump and lose that much weight off the bike. :)

I guess maybe that was the difference for me. This was my first bike ever with a centerstand so when I removed it wasn't a great loss...

Same here, it's my first bike with a centerstand. I'm planning on losing some weight, such as the centerstand which I don't use, the OEM exhaust, and I might save around 5-6 KG . Not that I need to save weight, the engine is more than capable. I'm trying to make it a little lighter to maneuver

I've had several bikes that didn't come with a centerstand after having probably eight or so that did and I really missed the centerstand from a maintenance standpoint. It's not just chain maintenance either. An oil change is more easily done with a centerstand on most bikes as well as other general maintenance that requires the bike to be in an upright position such as headlight aiming, wheel alignment etc. Spools and a stand can be OK but they still don't replace a good OEM centerstand. Ever had a bike come off spools? I have because of unlevel ground. Plus.............ever try to carry a stand while you're out on the road? In either case, don't get rid of it. If you keep the bike long enough you'll be puting it back on.

I saved 2,8-3,0KG on removing the center stand and the tool set (analog scales, don't ask exactly how much) which is about 6,2-6,6 lbs. can't wait until I can afford a CF exhaust can, I'll be in FZ6 weight territory. I'm thinking of removing the center stand bolts also, they weigh around 150-200 grams. Is there any reason why not to remove them ?

I saved 2,8-3,0KG on removing the center stand and the tool set (analog scales, don't ask exactly how much) which is about 6,2-6,6 lbs. can't wait until I can afford a CF exhaust can, I'll be in FZ6 weight territory. I'm thinking of removing the center stand bolts also, they weigh around 150-200 grams. Is there any reason why not to remove them ?

If you took off the stand then there is no reason to leave the bolts on there. They're not holding anything else...

of course, you're right, but being an amateur at this bike stuff, it feels wrong to not have all bolts in place :)

I'll remove them and save another 100 grams or so ;)

Remove centerstand

I left my centerstand on the FZ1 as well as my BMW. It makes it easier to clean the front wheel. With the PitBull rear stand in place, there is too much weight on the front wheel to rotate during washing. I guess I'm lazy that way. I suppose if I need to drop 5-7 pounds I could go on a diet!:box:

I left my centerstand on the FZ1 as well as my BMW. It makes it easier to clean the front wheel. With the PitBull rear stand in place, there is too much weight on the front wheel to rotate during washing. I guess I'm lazy that way. I suppose if I need to drop 5-7 pounds I could go on a diet!:box:

I'm even lazier than you. I clean my bike with the pressure hose, and clean the stains on the front wheel on the places easily accessiblee. The rest gets (probably) cleaned next time I wash it.

If you keep the bike long enough you'll be puting it back on.

Yeah, I've had my '07 FZ1 for two years now. I bought it used and it came with it off. I am looking at putting it back on. I can always take it off for the track, (for weight), but I find myself wishing I had it on even though I have a rear stand, (which I can only use at my house). The centerstand sits higher than the pegs, which I rarely scrape except the track. So, since my aggressive riding in the (public) canyons rarely scrapes pegs, (plenty fast for me), I find it silly not to take advantage of it. I sure loved it on my old '97 Bandit. I used it all the time, (even though I scaped the stand regularly if I grinded the pegs..lol). My buddy scrapes his pegs before the centerstand on his FZ. Really, if you scrape the centerstand, maybe you should save that kind of riding for the track. I keep up with some very fast guys, (well above legal speed limits) without scraping.
In short, my centerstand is going back on...

Last edited:
Back