Refuelling Issues

Much as I'm enjoying my Gen 2, I get very frustrated every time I go to fill up. It takes so long to get the tank properly full, as once it's hit the bottom on the fuel opening, I have to dribble petrol in at such a slow rate. I persevere with it because it means I only have to fill up every 3 days instead of 2, but I was wondering if there was a way to make the tank fill up faster?

Thanks

I've never experienced a problem filling the tank above the filler neck stop point but the pressure and fill rate of different pumps can make filling certain tanks a bit difficult. If I really want to get a few more miles on a tank, I may fill it beyond the "full" point but it only takes me a minute to get to that point, nothing really worth me complaining about. Whether your bike is on the center stand or side stand also makes a difference.

Yeah, we're "not supposed" to fill beyond the bottom of the filler well. But if the pump has a good trickle to it AND I'm riding out not headed home.... I'll top it all the way. Don't top it and then go park in the sun somewhere.... all that extra you just put in? Yup!!! Right out the overflow with the heat expansion! ;)

I do not insert the nozzle all the way down in the tank. If you do that it stops filling with 1 gallon left to go. I simply insert the tip of the nozzle just 2-3mm past the lip of the fill level. This way I can fill fast all the way to the lip without the pump stopping. I never get an splashing. It helps a little to always pull up to the pump so that it is on your left and the bike can lean towards the pump. This allows you to easily see inside and monitor how full it is.

I never sit on the bike while I am filling. Don't know why. Just never have.

I know why.... you're smarter than I. Not the safest thing to do but I'm careful and fill slowly never taking my eyes off the filler. I remember about half the time to put the kickstand down in case there's a problem and I have to bail. I do always park with the pump on my left though... If I have to bail, (and I remembered the kickstand...), I can drop it that way and leg over and bail on the throttle side to open ground.

I too have no real issue filling my tank. I can pack it to the point that I can get over 170 miles out of it.

I bought a used tank where the po had removed the filler well.

Last edited:
Yeah, we're "not supposed" to fill beyond the bottom of the filler well. But if the pump has a good trickle to it AND I'm riding out not headed home.... I'll top it all the way. Don't top it and then go park in the sun somewhere.... all that extra you just put in? Yup!!! Right out the overflow with the heat expansion! ;)

Yup found that out the hard way about 2 weeks after I purchased my bike. I thought something was terribly wrong as I had a cruiser at that time as well that I've been topping off and parking for 3+ yrs. I know now :)

I have this one special pump on base that likes to trickle fuel out, so I always go there, plus AAFES gas is cheaper too.

Back