Red face moments

Tell us your most embarrassing motorcycling moment. I'll start with the time I was lane splitting in Sydney while commuting to work. Filtered down to a red light. Stopped and went to put my foot down, what the F my laces had gone around the gear lever! Slowly tilted over while trying to get my shoe disentangled and gently leaned against a car with my butt and shoulder. Said sorry profusely to the driver (Glad it was not a Ferrari) :embarrased:and took off as fast as I could on the green. Very red faced. Have had plenty of others but this one sticks in my mind.

Went to Moto GP at Phillip Island on GSXR1000, pulled up to pay for parking at the main motorcycle parking area on race morning. Lifted bum cheek off seat & put left foot on foot peg (so I could get my wallet out) forgetting missus was on back. extra weight up high so the bike went over, missus went flying & I ended up staring at the boot of the Fireblade rider beside me. As I said race day morning so the queue was about a km long with lots of laughter behind me. Thank god I had my tinted visor to hide my embarassment. Missus wouldnt take the blame either!!

Picking up the wife from work early in our marriage, Had my left foot down and right foot on the peg. She leaps on the bike from the left side and down we went in the parking lot.

Several years ago my dad and I rode to Alaska. Most of the way up there the stops have very few people around. When we stopped for gas at a place called Jake's Corner the parking lot was full of people mulling around. As we pulled in dad's front tire droped into a hole, bike came to an abrupt stop and as he put a foot down he found another hole and down he went.

I jumped off my bike and ran over to help lift his 800lb touring bike as did some of the people standing around. Thanked them and as I turned to go back to my bike there is was, laying on its side. In my haste I forgot to put the stand down. We can laugh about it now but we couldnt get out of there fast enough.

Several years ago my dad and I rode to Alaska. Most of the way up there the stops have very few people around. When we stopped for gas at a place called Jake's Corner the parking lot was full of people mulling around. As we pulled in dad's front tire droped into a hole, bike came to an abrupt stop and as he put a foot down he found another hole and down he went.

I jumped off my bike and ran over to help lift his 800lb touring bike as did some of the people standing around. Thanked them and as I turned to go back to my bike there is was, laying on its side. In my haste I forgot to put the stand down. We can laugh about it now but we couldnt get out of there fast enough.

Now that's funny... I could see me doing the same thing.

After owning the bike for a week I parked it at work and got off it without putting down the kickstand and just watched it tip over as I stood there.....

So far my only off.

I had my nighthawk parked right outside my garage and opened the door. Unfortunately, it's a one piece door that opens out like a foot before it tilts up to the ceiling. My wife and dad were standing right outside waiting for me, and the door hits the bike and it goes tits up.

Not great, but at least it was just the nighthawk. If it had been the FZ1 I would have been much sadder.

When I first met my wife we were out riding the back roads of Bucks County PA and we were on a road with a lot of steep side to side angles or a major crown in the road. She had never really been on motorcycles before and was really enjoying the day and the ride. We came to a harmless stop sign with a few cars behind us and I came to a full stop and proceeded to put my right foot down or should I say tried, by time I actually hit asphalt with my foot we were at a pretty servere angle and she did not react unitl I could no longer hold the weight of her and the bike up from the slow fall over.

She very gracefully steps off the bike as it falls while I fight to the end and wind up on the ground tumbling a bit from the severe angle of the road and grass. Needless to say I was very embarrassed form the stupid mistake I made while wiping the dirt and grass from my gear. She is a great passenger now and really enjoys a spirited pace on the back roads.

This happened just 15 minutes ago.

I was at a red light when two guys on Harley Davidson pulled up behind me. They were the big ones with those luggage boxes on the side.(Not sure what you call those.) As I am sitting there waiting for the light I actually hear one guy say to the other, "you pass him on this side and I will get him on the other".

challenge-accepted.jpg

The light turns green and I take off, full throttle with both bikes behind me trying to get me, shift to second, Vroooooooommmmm!!!!!!!!! I missed second! Both bikes get even with me as I find second and take off again. We get to the next red light and stop and the guy says "bet you didn't think these bikes were that fast". There was nothing I could say. My red face moment of the day.

I have forgotten to put the kick stand down.
I have killed it multiple times before i realized i still had the kick stand down.
I have misplaced my food when coming to a stop, resulting in a tip.
I have tipped it in the driveway waiting for it to warm up, fully loaded with camping gear and clothing, because it was on a bad angle to begin with.

all of this was on my ninja500. no mishaps with the fz1 thus far.

Most of these are one time mistakes that a lot of bikers make i think. i hope... :hook2:

One of the many I've had was pulling up in front of my garage at my old place. Dirt driveway and I stopped and went to put my foot down. The ruts from the tenants car were deeper than I expected and lost my balance and tipped over. Left foot/leg under the bike, I hit the kill switch, crisis averted.

Now to get the bike up as fast as possible before anyone sees me.

Can't lift the bike and can't move my leg, no problem. I'll reach under and untie my boot and slide leg my leg out, no problem. The 'U' shaped eyelet on the boot was crushed on the lace and the bootstring wouldn't loosen enough to free my foot.

I struggled for about six lifetimes, or one minute, while I wedged my free leg under the bike and lifted with all my might and got the foot, bootless, out.

As suspected most red faced moments are when stopping. Did have one about 2 months ago when trying to move the bike at a fuel station. Every time I clicked into gear it stopped. I had just put my new levers on and had been having trouble with the clutch dragging. Kept trying untill another rider pointed out my side stand was still down!
:eek::eek::eek:

About 10 years ago I was on a group ride from Sydney to Catherine Hill Bay pub on the Central Coast.

Catho pub is a popular bikers destination, packed on Sundays with heaps of bikes and their riders, pillions etc.

I attempted to do a u-turn and managed to drop my bike out the front of the pub, mid turn.

And just to really make sure everyone there had noticed, I also accidentally pinned the throttle while the bike was on the ground. :eek:

Luckily for me, not a few moments later, a fella on a Harley also dropped his bike doing a u-turn, so the attention shifted away from me and I quietly scampered away with my tail between my legs.

I was walking my first bike (2001 Suzuki Marauder 800) into my shed one day after a ride, and as I was doing that the wind hit hard out of no where and started to shut the door on me. The door was about to hit the front of the bike so not thinking I let go of the bike to stop the door.. Yeah, bike fell over sideways into the side of my house as the shed is close to it on the driveway. I literally LOL'd though as I was trying to not damage the bike with the door closing on it, so instead I basically toss it into my house. There was no damage at all, other than a couple marks on the vinyl siding.

On the FZ1 I was at a bank in the drive through, being billy badass that I am I decided to give everyone else in the area a listen to my bike at 10K with the clutch pulled in before taking off. After I look uber cool I go to take off and stall it. Total typical movie moment.

lol

Back