record keeping

05Yam

Well i want to keep a good detail records of the maintenance & upgrades of my Fz1, I kinda want to keep a digital copy or print out some sort of spreadsheet and keep them in a binder like I do for my trucks and machines at work? How do you keep youre records? :teeter:
Thanks

With the record keeper. What's the point of being married to a detail oriented accountant that watches every cent I spend on my bike, if she doesn't also keep the file. Love the fact that when I go to sell one of the toys she gleefully gives me the file. Everything is tab marked and arranged by date. I almost,"almost" feel bad when I eventually tell her the sale of said toy is to facilitate the purchase of a new one. You think after 19 years of marriage she'd learn. Maybe she has, but man I love this game.

I use an application for my phone that keeps detailed records of everything on the bike, and provides reminders of what's due. You can print it out at anytime, email it, whatever. It's called "Motominder". Really cool app, I use it constantly!

I have a file with every receipt, for every dime I have ever spent on the bike. I also have a dry erase board in my shop with all my vehicles listed and the mileage the last services were done. I can see it at a glance with date and mileage listed for what was done. Old fashioned, but it works.

I keep a folder with all the hard copies of receipts as well. I also keep an Excel spreadsheet with tabs for either bike and I keep track of the date, mileage and mods that are done. It's just mostly for me, but I guess it may be beneficial the day I decide to sell either one of my bikes.

I use a 3 ring binder with clear sheet protectors so I can have sheets visible on both sides. I keep everything from the original purchase documents, to maintenance logs, materials purchased for the maintenance, and any aftermarket or OEM parts purchased. I figure if I ever have any warranty issues, I have the "proof of purchase" info. It's also a good book to be able to show to a prospective purchaser. It lets them know you care for and have cared for your machine. If I'm looking to buy a used bike, it's the first thing I ask for and if I get a blank look in return, I walk away, no more questions. If I trade the bike to a dealer, I keep the binder. I still had my binder for my FZ that I just traded back for and I will now just keep up with the ledger seeing how no miles were put on whilethe dealer had it. Not too many people can say they bought, traded, and re-traded a vehicle and have ALL the documentaion pertaining to it's life.

Folder in the garage with all the receipts. I clip together each time I do something then put a sticky note on it and throw it in the folder.

I write on the electrical panel with a dry erase marker what the mileage was at the time of the oil change. Since the panel is next to the door, I see it often as a reminder of when to change out the oil on the bikes. That will include the truck now too as the warranty is about to expire and the stealer will not see it again. :D

Well i made a Service Log to day at work and used a 1" 3 ring binder with a Excel spreadsheet, it has in it date, Mileage,Oil(Yes/No if it was changed), Chain ( Yes/No if lubed), Cables(Yes/No), And Notes. Is there anything i should add?
Ill put a envelope in it tomorrow for recipes.

My record keeping consists of me throwing out receipts for parts I've bought, usually before I've left the shop.
Oil was changed at 3k and every 3k since. Air filter, plugs and brake fluid every two years. Simple!

Absolutely no need for records or spreadsheets!

Back