recommended mods please 2004 FZ1

Hi guys,

I just picked up my 2004 FZ1 last week. I'm thinking about a slip on, jet kit, windscreen, and air filter. I just wanted to know if there are any clear favourites.

I'm leaning toward a carbon slip on "2 brothers".

I'm thinking about a BMC filter.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

thanks,
Aleks

So I've done a lil research. I've found holeshot and Ivans performance seem to have the jet kit covered.

Anyone know which one I should go with?

Does anyone know about porting the boots themselves?

I'm thinking to go with the stage 2, slip on, pod filters, and boot porting.

thanks,
Aleks

From what I've read, it doesn't matter which kit you choose if narrowed down to those two.

I'm choosing RR Jet Kit with a little bit of adult supervision. There's a link in the thread about porting the boots. After some good information exchanges with va_rider, I've decided I want to do everything listed in that thread. It is the one kit that spoke to me when I first read about it, second is Ivan's.

I rode my bike like I bought it for nearly three years before I did anything performance related. During that time, I studied the forums so that I would understand which mods would give me what I wanted.

So far, the slip on sounds great and seems to make the power smoother than with the stock pipe. Since I bought a used bike, it makes me wonder if something was done before then returned to stock before they sold it and I can't wait to see.

We did all HoleShot stuff on her FZ1 (which I now ride), and it all works well together.

> High-pipe (we left the rear pegs, brackets off; less weight = go faster)

> full carb jet kit

> timing advance

> air injection removal kit

Those four items yielded 129hp on the dyno.

Love the Holeshot pipe. We've used HoleShot pipes before. Not too raukus and obnoxious, nice burble at idle, great sound when WFO above 6k! :Rockon:

A few months ago, did the fork-raising/clamp-lowering procedure, about 3/8" worth. Big difference in cornering, worth doing.

This week finally did the ss washer mod to the footpeg bracket bolts. Man, THAT was long overdue!!!
Best $6- I ever spent on a bike!

We did all HoleShot stuff on her FZ1 (which I now ride), and it all works well together.

> High-pipe (we left the rear pegs, brackets off; less weight = go faster)

> full carb jet kit

> timing advance

> air injection removal kit

Those four items yielded 129hp on the dyno.

Love the Holeshot pipe. We've used HoleShot pipes before. Not too raukus and obnoxious, nice burble at idle, great sound when WFO above 6k! :Rockon:

A few months ago, did the fork-raising/clamp-lowering procedure, about 3/8" worth. Big difference in cornering, worth doing.

This week finally did the ss washer mod to the footpeg bracket bolts. Man, THAT was long overdue!!!
Best $6- I ever spent on a bike!
What is a (ss washer mod for the foot peg?)

What is a (ss washer mod for the foot peg?)

AFM#674

It is a "Stainless Steel Washer" mod. This is done on the footpeg brackets to remove the Flex that is designed in from the factory. I don't know where the link is but someone is sure to post it up. I have not done this to mine yet because the pegs don't bother me "as is".

Here is a link (search works great): http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-tech...bber-mounted-rearsets-cheap-fix.html#post6015

The key to it is that the washers have to perfectly fit into the recess in the rear set and the hole of the washer has to fit around the steel pin or tube that pokes through the rubber bushing.

"The washers are SAE 1.25" and you need to drill them out using a 31/64 bit. It makes for a nice snug fit." from post on other forum, as are pictures.

Last edited:
Back