Rear Shock Install Help!

Tachypsychia

So I got the bike running after the harsh winter months and decided it was warm enough this week to get some miles in.

I had to buy a new front tire and a shop on the same street as a friend I hang out with a lot, had the Q2 sportmax I wanted for a good price.

I brought the rear shock I bought last year to see if they had the time to install it while i was there. My bike had a solid strut on it and its sooooo bumpy.

Anyway they figured they had everything they had (dogbone, bolts ect) that they needed so they started on it and I left to go get a beer. I came back a bit later and they told me and showed that the shock wouldnt fit. They did have the bike on the lift and the rear tire was still on the ground, so I don't know if that is important, but it looked like the shocks reservoir was too big. I looked up pictures on my own and saw that there is a spot in the fender for it to go and I dont see that on my bike because (maybe) it has a fender eliminator kit.

I know a shock job should be EASY as pie,but I cant find a tutorial and they were adamant that this was the wrong part and I'm pretty sure it is (bought it off a forum member)

I'm going to post pictures later to day for clarification, but any advice would be great.

Heres a pic of the wheel well so you know what I'm talking about

IMG_20110216_094353.jpg

There's no spot for the shock reservoir to go =-(

The photo should be resized smaller now

I'm also noticing a lot of weld marks... is this common on the 2001 model? Or did someone do some work on my bike?

I am a Gen II owner but that looks all wrong to me. I am thinking somebody made a temporary fix, and a mess. I see what looks like welding spatter on top of the swing arm and am fairly sure Yamaha has better quality control than that. If a shock won't fit then something is WRONG! The picture looks like a solid link was put in, meaning no rear suspension. I would imagine the ride is horrible.

He said it was from an 03. I'm thinking its a botch job. I'll post pics of the bottom in an hour or so. Yes the ride sucks! Which is why I'm trying to switch it out :(

Sent from my HTC EVO using tapatalk

Sadness. I was going to try to take it to action cycles and see what they could do for me.

Aaron: FYI I didnt know the bike had the solid link when I bought it and bought a spring from another forum member in like october. He had an 03 and its Gen 1 ect. When they went to put the top of the spring assy in, the reservior was hitting the top, and theres a bracket like piece there so no angling of the spring will work. Not sure what to do.

Last edited:
I feel like this piece isnt supposed to be here:

Untitled.png

Can anyone confirm this? Seems to me in other pictures, the resevoir goes in a hole in this spot? or maybe its just further down....

Heres the shock btw. I understand it has an aftermarket spring. Not sure of the rate. I assume its higher than stock due to reviews of the rear shock being too soft.

IMG_20110216_134318.jpg

Theres just no way to make the upper reciever bolt in the way the gas reservoir is.

Maybe I'm just retarded. the 2002 rear suspension schematic Has the reservoir lower than the reciever hole.... Wrong Spring Assy?

Capture.png

Last edited:
This is the stock rear shock: ... with upgraded spring.
sug02.jpg

and here's how it should hook up:
sug03.jpg

sug04.jpg

sug05.jpg

What you've got... isn't a stock rear shock as far as I know.

and the "modification" that was done to install that solid link... may be irreversible.

Last edited:
I've got an '03/'04 GSXR 1000 rear shock sitting in my garage and I can confirm that is what you have on your bike

Yours:
IMG_20110216_134318.jpg

An '03/'04 GSXR 1000:
4165673117_32cc0318e8_o.jpg

I don't really understand why anyone would do that. I can't imagine the Gixxer shock would actually be any better than the Gen I shock anyway!

va_rider's photos are giving me an error, so for reference, this is what the OEM shock looks like:
300.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I'll hunt for another shock then. I'm trying not to spend over 100 for one since I already lost money buying this one =-(

We got the actual strut off already and it would fit the proper shock just fine. That camera angle makes it look like its welded in there but its not. Only issue is getting the shock now.

I guess I'll hunt for another shock then. I'm trying not to spend over 100 for one since I already lost money buying this one =-(

We got the actual strut off already and it would fit the proper shock just fine. That camera angle makes it look like its welded in there but its not. Only issue is getting the shock now.

Well that's good to hear! I can't think of any reason someone would put a solid link in instead of a shock.

Well that's good to hear! I can't think of any reason someone would put a solid link in instead of a shock.

Street queen on smooth roads or straight-out drag racer... I'm guessing the latter of the two. If needed, I'm sure a sub-frame and/or swingarm can be also found for sale to replace where the stock shock mounts?

Street queen on smooth roads or straight-out drag racer... I'm guessing the latter of the two. If needed, I'm sure a sub-frame and/or swingarm can be also found for sale to replace where the stock shock mounts?

Its an interesting setup. The actual link connect right in the stock spots. The bold is adjustable to raise or lower the height, and is actually branded Suzuki. I'll post some pics when I get it off. I don't know about standard acceleration times, but I red line super quick off first. I think we top out at like 72 in first gear or something. The solid rear suspension (lack there of) keeps all the traction on the rear. Nice, but not for me and all the twisty roads I live near.

damn mate if you tried to ride that here is Aus with that solid set up i think it would eventually come out ur mouth. hope all gets better keep us posted as i for one am curious to see what shock/spring combo/rates u chose.

Back