Rear Set selection

Well it appears that since the last time I looked there are several more options out there for the Gen II with regards to rear sets. I thought the only choice was Rizoma and they were just too pricey for me.

I found these that look bad ass and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them?

D-Axis : Yamaha

DRP-520-ST.jpg

List price is $569 which is more than what I remember the Rizomas costing (I remember Rizomas costing closer to $600). Looks like you can get a set for just a bit over $500 now

Yamaha Rizoma Rearsets FZ1 2006+

Riz_FZ1_RS_lg.jpg

Looks like Vortex also has a set for $356 and you cant go wrong with them considering the number of racers that use their stuff

Vortex V2 Adjustable Rearsets - Street Bike 2011 Yamaha FZ1 - Motorcycle Superstore

And Sato racing is in the mix for $560 also

SATO RACING | FZ1 ('01-'05) Rear Sets

Has anyone tried anything other than Rizoma's? I saw that back in 2010 someone tried the Ottimoto's ($200) and I saw somewhere someone mentioned Valters which are also less than $200 (maybe only in England):

Valter Moto Type 1 Rearsets for Yamaha FZ1 06-, PJ's Parts

Of course now that the Rizomas seem more reasonably priced I might consider them but those D-Axis sets are BAD ASS!!! Do the Rizomas come with all of the required linkages to make it work with your bike? Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
This driven rearsets look very good!!!

Don't know about them much, but the Rizomas and Sato racing are well known to everyone, so from my point of view on of theese two should be your choice.

You also have another option the LIGHTEC rear sets, they are by far one of the best, I have a couple of friends who purchased them and they are very satisfied.....surf on google a little bit you will find them without a problem....

Thats interesting. The Lightech's dont seem to have as much adjustability as the Rizoma's with regards to foot peg position. How has that worked out for the people you know? The other thing that concerns me about all of these is the fact that I cant tell if I will "have" to buy another brake light switch or aftermarket switch. I also want to make sure it comes with the adjustable shift linkage long enough for my bike.

Nothing worse that paying $600 for something then not be able to use it because you need another part.

Im really considering the Rizoma's and the Vortex because of the price. I hope someone on here has tried the Vortex sets and can offer some input.

While the Rizoma rear-sets are expensive, they are high quality and look good. I am completely satisfied with them and would purchase them again without hesitation.

not too sure about the brake light fittings for other brands, but rizoma are TUV-approved for local road use.

rizoma will fit back the exact parts from the stock rearsets.

Thats interesting. The Lightech's dont seem to have as much adjustability as the Rizoma's with regards to foot peg position. How has that worked out for the people you know? The other thing that concerns me about all of these is the fact that I cant tell if I will "have" to buy another brake light switch or aftermarket switch. I also want to make sure it comes with the adjustable shift linkage long enough for my bike.

Nothing worse that paying $600 for something then not be able to use it because you need another part.

Im really considering the Rizoma's and the Vortex because of the price. I hope someone on here has tried the Vortex sets and can offer some input.

I think that Sato racing has the compatibility with the rear light swich only while for the others you have to buy a new one, not sure 100% but I remember reading on some Site this.....If you can check this out maybe you can avoit further headackes!!!

I think that Sato racing has the compatibility with the rear light swich only while for the others you have to buy a new one, not sure 100% but I remember reading on some Site this.....If you can check this out maybe you can avoit further headackes!!!

No issues with the brake light switch with the Gilles Rearsets, as I said I had them on my 08 and they worked great.

Last edited:

My friends who have Lightech rearsets are very satisfied with them, a part from other brands you don't feel the vibrations at all which I had the opportunity to see for myself, the spare parts for them can be found everywhere and they are the cheapest, as far a good looks are concerned they are not as muscular as the Gilles, and maybe feel a bit cheaper but they are made of top quality materials.

I have the vortex and I love them. The instructions are a bit off but it was still fairly easy getting them installed. The shift lever extends from the kickstand plate up to the Shift Assembly Post Thingy(tm) and I had to cut through my sprocket cover.

The only issue I have with them is when they are set all the way to the rear the shift lever and the Kickstand Extension Doodle(also TM) are right in line with each other. The result is needing to have the lever up as high as possible in order for your foot to hit it instead of the kickstand. It took about 30 yards to get used to and now I love it.

I have the Giles and love them. I had the rizomas but sold them off as I just couldn't live with the lever rubbing the adjustment plate screw all the time and eating away at the levers.

6169341892_63a2131216_b.jpg

Last edited:
I'll take a pic later since I have no vocabulary first thing in the ... Sun Thing ...

I would love to see the Vortex sets installed since thats the way I think Im leaning. Im NOT leaning towards the Rizomas anymore after these posts so I appreciate the input.

I'll look into those Giles rearsets a little more too since they are less than $500 which is nice and they seem to have plenty of adjustability.

For reference, I rode a friends Speed Triple and I love the riding position!! Although our bikes are a little longer I believe I could get that same position with some rearsets - PLUS, I wont be scraping foot pegs all over the place when Im riding with my hooligan friends :D

I have the Giles and love them. I had the rizomas but sold them off as I just couldn't live with the lever rubbing the adjustment plate screw all the time and eating away at the levers.

6169341892_63a2131216_b.jpg

rubbing at the adjustment plate screws? which part is it?

I don't remember having any issues with my set though. Hmmmm..

HEY!!! do you have highway pegs mounted on your bike? How does that work out?

They were great but I didn't use them much so sold them.

rubbing at the adjustment plate screws? which part is it?

I don't remember having any issues with my set though. Hmmmm..

It rubs with the screw that mounts the rearsets to the frame and to prevent that you need to adjust that lever way low or change the mounting on the plate. In my favorite set position, I had to adjust the lever too low. Another issue with them as you can see in Hellgate's pics is that the non anodized bits start rusting. I love their look though ...

Here's a better pic with the stand up. You can see that I have them adjusted all the way to the rear and at the highest point. The shift lever and the kickstand bar are very close. After this pic I took a pair of vice grips and bent it slightly. That completely fixed the issue.

Here's a better pic with the stand up. You can see that I have them adjusted all the way to the rear and at the highest point. The shift lever and the kickstand bar are very close. After this pic I took a pair of vice grips and bent it slightly. That completely fixed the issue.

Thats really nice, I like those.

Back