Rear R1 shock and Satan adaptor

JMEMGC

I know this has been covered here and on the other forum but I just wanted to add my 2 cents as I am late to an FZ1N ;)

A few months ago I had the opportunity to pick up a used R1 Rear and Satan adaptor off a member who had upgraded to Penske. 2Stang was happy to ship to me here in Australia and had previously had the shock setup for roughly my weight. So the shock arrived and being lazy/busy it just sat on the shelf in my workshop for months. Weekend before last I had the motivation to fit my recently purchased Rizoma rearsets and while I had the tools out I figured I may as well install the shock. The install was easy once I actually read the instructions (shock didn't come with any but luckily Satan had sent me a .pdf) Once I knew the right way and had the bike strung up the install took all of 20 mins. And yes it does kick the back end up a long way. If you have short legs you might have trouble but for most I think that is a small price to pay. I ride a N so I didn't have to worry about a centre stand.

Fast forward to today and I got the chance to ride my baby. All I can say is someone replaced my bike with a new one lol. For the first 30 minutes I felt like I waz riding someone else's bike. In a straight line the bike feels so much smoother. It transitions from side to side so much more easily, not darty or unstable just flows better. I went on one of our regular routes and I just can not tell you how much better the bike was. Once I started getting a feel again for the bike I decided to aim for some of the average sections that I normally avoid and the shock just glided over them. Bumps that I know will cause me to buck and loose my line are now simply a slightly annoying bang and small jar from the suspension. I ride with a friend who has an R1 and a HP4 so he tends to set the pace. We ride well together but I can tell you today our pace was UP lol Sections where in the past he would always run on me, today I was on his back wheel. Switch backs where Ben could always flow thru better than me I was hanging with him today. All I can say is WOW. Every single person that talks about suspension being the best mod - well they are 100% right. From now on the suspension is where I will start spending any money on a new bike :)

I will say that I have done a few mod's recently that together might be making this huge difference but today is the first day I could really test them all together. I have the Rizoma rearsets which definetly flt me to my bike better, I can't recommend a set of rearsets highly enough and the Rizoma one's are of course some of the best for our bikes. I am running new rubber, Diablo Rosso 2's which compared to the stockies - well their is no comparision to how much better they are and today I started trusting them a lot more as they are scrubbed in well now. Finally the rear shock. All together it is just incredible how much more secure and planted the bike is while also being more flickable.

We were running a section of road called Burringbah range which must have been designed by an engineer that rides bikes because it is one of those dream stretches of road that feel like a perfect race track. Surface is smooth, Camber of the corners is perfect and highly visible, Traffic is light as a major freeway bypassed this section so not many people use the road anymore. We ran it with a guy on an MT09 and his friend on a GSXR750 and lost them by bend 3. Hauled past a group of riders and then found a guy on a Ducati 1098 who ran with us a little way then dropped off and wouldn't play anymore ;)

All I can say is if the front end swap to R1 that I am about to do is even half as good an improvement then I will be a very very happy camper. If you have the opportunity to do suspension upgrade then I would recommend DO IT don't hesitate. I only wish I had done it sooner lol. I can not wait to get my girl back to a track day and really see how she handles. Oh and the mod even improves the bike when on the back wheel :innocent:

Jme

The shock is a huge improvement. Having ridden 2 FZ1s with R1 forks, I was not impressed. Seeing as they are 15mm shorter than stock, that extra height you gained with the shock will be even higher with the R1 forks unless you get the fork cap extensions.

Loosenut, I went with 07/08 shocks which is reported to be 5-7mm shorter. For me I think that the extra angle will be a good thing as I want slightly more aggressive ergo's to my bike but with out the wrist pressure of clip on's. I have also set my rear sets at a mild setting of 2 up up and one back from centre. Hopefully all said and done I will have a real half breed FZ/R1 :).

All said and done though sometimes I wonder if I should have got an R1 and built a FZ1N out of it instead of the other way around :justkidding:

The shock is a huge improvement. Having ridden 2 FZ1s with R1 forks, I was not impressed. Seeing as they are 15mm shorter than stock, that extra height you gained with the shock will be even higher with the R1 forks unless you get the fork cap extensions.

I have Ohlins FGRT forks for the R1 on my FZ and they made a huge improvement, the shorter stance isn't noticeable in my riding position, but was definitely noticed in the improved handling of the bike. The bike turns in a lot better. After getting them tuned properly and matched to the rear Ohlins shock it completely changed the bike for the better.

Dicko, thanks for the feedback. I am definetly thinking about doing a build of both when I have them on the bike. Researching the AK cartridges for the front. I can not believe the difference such a simple mod made, so can only imagine a matched front and rear to me would be astounding.. Money and time being the only limiting factor lol

By far the best mod I've done to my bike was the suspension, and I've done a few mods.

Yep I have read your sig line lol. Is the Brembo MC a worth while upgrade ? I have the 6pot calipers on their way and am reading mixed reviews for a mostly street bike. Some say yes they are worth it other say stock is not bad at all. Thinking I will run stock with the HEL lines and EBC pads and then look at Brembo MC. I am still looking into headers, just haven't had a deal offered that was to good to say no too yet.

Shame you, me, ballmead and blanchy are so far apart would be good to ride with some other FZ's with mod's. The only ride I have done with a Fazer was with a bone stocker that the rider had set up for cruising and had no interest in running hard - not his thing hich is understandable. But would love to guage my bike against others not just trying to keep up with a HP4 all the time :)

I used the stock R1 MC which is Brembo, it is much better than the stock FZ MC as the piston volume is different and gave a better feel with the 6 pot calipers.

Yeah it would be good to get together for a ride. There's a lot of FZ riders around me (see them every lunch break in town, but none seem to be on this forum.

I was thinking you were using the adjustable Brembo MC. I am going to be using the Radial MC that comes with my transplant front end not even thinking bout using the FZ MC. Does the reservoir make any difference ? I want something more attractive than the stocker but I wasn't sure if something from Rizoma or Barracuda would effect the braking even marginally ? Any reason you are running the front fender from an R1 ? Do the 206 forks mean you have to use it like when running 09+ R1 or are the 206 the later R1 model no's ??

As long as the reservoir holds the required amount of fluid to operate the MC then I don't see why a Rizoma or Barracuda reservoir would be a problem.

I just covered my R1 reservoir with a reservoir sock :)

Lol yeah that was going to be my go to move if all else fails Ballmead. Which leads me on to my next question - bar end mirror's.. I recently switched to a set from my local dealer that are knock off Rizoma reverse retro (black). Cant remember the brand off hand but they are good quality and they were on the shelf lol. Once I got used to the smaller glass I won't ever go back to the useless stocker's. Anyway install went fine but then I noticed the ugly threaded hole left from the stocker's. Ended up going and buying some black hi tensile hex nuts and a tap and threaded the reverse thread to suit normal thread. Blanks the hole but I am not 100% happy. What did you do ?

Kingbud - couldn't tell you, haven't had a pillion on the back since install. Saying that though I think it would improve things. Only pillion I have had on my FZ was a lady that was by no means large and I could feel sag with the stock suspension so much so that the front was extra light. I think that the R1 shock is just a better unit all round and the compliance is superior which leads me to think the pillion would have a much nicer ride with less jarring.

Ballmead thanks for the links - the Corsair Industries one are almost what I have except instead of button head I went for "socket head" allen bolt. Work perfect but as they are about 1mm to long there is a slight gap underneath the head. Just need to go by myself an oring and that should calm my OCD down ;) They also cost $1.75 each at the local bolt shop..... Balllmead are you running stock front internals in your 08 conversion ? I read some where you said you have done the mod twice now was there a reason ?

I was thinking you were using the adjustable Brembo MC. I am going to be using the Radial MC that comes with my transplant front end not even thinking bout using the FZ MC. Does the reservoir make any difference ? I want something more attractive than the stocker but I wasn't sure if something from Rizoma or Barracuda would effect the braking even marginally ? Any reason you are running the front fender from an R1 ? Do the 206 forks mean you have to use it like when running 09+ R1 or are the 206 the later R1 model no's ??

I have the Rizoma reservoir because the missus said the white plastic one looked out of place after everything else I did to the bike, so she bought it for me, it makes no difference other than looks. I run the R1 front guard as the forks are for the 09+ R1 which requires a different front guard, pre 09 you can use the FZ front guard (I think it is 09 switch over, could be 07).

As for rear shock if you add a pillion, you should also wind on a little pre-load to your spring, the compression & rebound dampening won't need to be changed.

When I switched to the R1 MC, I bought the Rizome adapter bracket which allows a mirrir to be screwed onto the R1 brake. This let me run the Rizoma 744 mirrors, so I don't have an issue with the old stock mirrors or a hole anymore.

Attachments

• 3648.jpg
    3648.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 125
Is there a significant difference with using the R1 shock and Satans adapter for 2-up riding?

YES.

holds lines far better, much less pogo-ing, much less squat on acceleration. i've done over 10,000 miles with passengers (not all the same one) over the last few years, before and after suspension swap to the R1 stuff and its a big difference

Ballmead thanks for the links - the Corsair Industries one are almost what I have except instead of button head I went for "socket head" allen bolt. Work perfect but as they are about 1mm to long there is a slight gap underneath the head. Just need to go by myself an oring and that should calm my OCD down ;) They also cost $1.75 each at the local bolt shop..... Balllmead are you running stock front internals in your 08 conversion ? I read some where you said you have done the mod twice now was there a reason ?

I did it twice because I originally bought gold forks and didn't like the colour so I bought black ones. I sold the Gold ones on here to FZ1 Mick.
I had the black forks revalved, they are a tad softer on initial damping than stock R1 forks.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Back