Rear & Front sprocket optimal ratio...

CRO_FZ1

Hello everyone,

Since I'm going to do a couple of mods on the bike (FZ1 Gen II), already bought a full Yoshi TRC, PCIII, Ivan's FCE, Sub Throttle Plates, Factory Pro V/stacks, K&N Air filter........I'm asking for your help regarding the Rear & Front sprocket optimal ratio for street/track use....

I've heard that It would be a good idea to buy a front sprocket of 15 teeth, but what about the rear one, does anyone have any reccomandations????

Sorry about the tiping I'm from Croatia and my english is not so good...

Appreciate any help give

On a motorcycle.....any motorcycle, there is a rule of thought about front sprockets

That is, the smaller you go on the front by reducing a tooth or two, the tighter the diamiter of the chain as it goes forward,down the sprocket and back out and to the rear of the chain travel on the way back to the rear sprocket.

This change of dirrection from forward-down -and back causes GREATer dirrectional change speed.....thuss higher stress/weight loads. And with greater stress, more pressure at this pivot point, but it is most often done with the front sprockes due to the fact that it's easier to do.

Compared to removing the rear wheel, sprocket and sprocket bolts and changing the rear sprocket, many choose to only change the front due to ease of removal and re-instalation. It's the easiest change.....not the best...:) The rule of thumb is that one front tooth on the front sprocket equals a change of three tooth to the rear sprocket.

One thing, since you mention that it's for track/street, I'll asume you want more and quicker power to the rear wheel for quicker acceleration.....correct? If so then a rear sprocket change to 47 teeth would probably be all you'd need, though if you could find a sprocket in the 48-49 tooth size it would be even more of an accelerator or wheelie bike. Beyond 48-49, I think you will find it too low geared and the motor winding too high to feel comfortable with the sprocket changes. I'd recomend against a front sprocket change, but there are those who would dissagree on the problem that I'v referenced about small=stress presures and front sprockets.

Thanks GOHOT229, you've explained very clearly my inquiry since im new to this i didn't know very much. Since I'm going to use the bike for street/track I'll need quicker acceleration you're correct ......but If I change both sprocket's, front & rear what would be your personal reccomandation, to change the rear and keep the front one stock??? I already found a shop near me whos sells DID sprockets(sunstar) and chains and found out that by specifiing the ratio desired for front and rear they produce them on demand.

I'm not the one to ask that particular question, but if V_A will chime in, I believe he's the "'Been there, Done that'" guy on our forum and has experimented with a considerable number of combinations. Though I maintain keeping the front 'stock', and I'm thinking 49 is the outside gearing before it gets too low..... theres a tradeoff between outright acceleration and traveling in sixth gear at 4.5-5,000 prm verses 3,200 rpm in stock form.

Last edited:
Thanks once again, I already found the sprockets at a great price on ebay.it - since im from croatia, it takes less time to arrive the from the states.....:sinister:

Well I can understand you wanting to change sprockets since the stock setup is not ideal for street riding. However, for the track it depends on what type of track you're racing in. With the stock setup 1st gear allows for about 85 MPH so if you change the ratios considerably you might find yourself having to use 2nd gear on some corners that you used 1st before. If it's a tight track where you want max acceleration then I would go with 16T front and 47-48T on the rear.

I think i'll go for a 16T front 48R since is a tight track with difficult corners, and also for street use i don't need great top speed, i need acceleration, I agree with you on that the bike has a loooong 1st gear mybe to long for that bike....However below is the link where I would consume my tires every now and then it's a 15minute ride from my home, this weekend was the European Championship in super stock, super sport and super bike, in the super stock 1000 and superbike the Aprilia RSV4 :worship: dominated the race....

Karakteristike : Automotodrom Grobnik - Rijeka- Hrvatska

Back