Rear brakes self-destructed

Bought my blue baby this week and already the rear brakes self-destructed.

Net is it appears the seals let in moisture and the corroded piston and bore. Disc is trashed and calipers are suspect.

Guy I bought from has tracked down the parts and they are on their way, but just posting here for comment/experience.

Wheel off, up on center stand, bummer of a way for her to spend the first weekend in my possession. Guess I'll change the oil..
..a

Well this is the first time that I am seeing a Gen I rear caliper in such bad shape! Sounds like you got the parts on the way, but I always see plenty of them on eBay. More than likely the trouble started on the inside from not flushing the brake fluid often enough. This allowed enough moisture in the fluid to corrode the piston thereby destroying the seals. I guess the rear brake is easy enough to overlook in the maintenance department.

Last edited:
That was definately leaking for awhile by the look of the pads,and piston. Maybe it's just the picture, but the chain looks like it is in bad need of a clean as well. Parts are only as good as the maintenance.

Sorry for your luck, but it sounds like the guy is making good on that one anyway. I would check the front out as well! And a Oil change is a very good idea as well.

Picture makes chain look dirty, but it's in good shape - the guy did baby it -besides a couple of blems, it looks in showroom condition.

Just picked up the big bottle of Rotella T and the Purolator PL14610 - there's plenty of room for the longer filter in there. Wondering if now might be a good time to check the valves as well, and put in new plugs while I'm under there. It's not going anywhere for a few more days.. :(

Hey, what size is the rear axle nut? 30 or 32mm? I had intentions of picking up a large metric set at sears but then the prices ruled that out! As it's the only oversize I need at the moment, I'll just get the single.
..a

Back