Rant >:(

pigs

Ok, so I've ridden several different kinds of bikes and ridden with all different kinds of riders, and I've discovered a pattern.

My first bike was a Shadow 750 which I rode for a year. I always make a point to wave (stick my arm out) to the on coming rider. I noticed that a certain type of rider wouldn't ever wave. Harley riders.

Sometimes they did, in fact when I owned the Shadow it was more often than not. Maybe they couldn't tell it wasn't a Harley through their giant bug splattered wind shield.

When I rode my R6, Harley riders never stuck their hands out, and I mean never, not once. I owned that bike for a year.

When I owned the warrior for 2 years it would occasionally happen.

Now I ride a "sport bike" again, it never happens.

This is very frustrating to me because I always want to treat riders the same but I'm finding myself wanting just raise the middle finger in a preemptive FU elitist asshole.

What are your opinions? Why are those guys like that?

A lot of times I don't wave.... it depends on what's going on.... and who it is... I got so sick of Harley riders' crap, that I refuse to wave to any Harley... I don't wave to scooters.... I don't wave to people not wearing proper gear... if they're not wearing proper gear, they need to keep both hands on the bars as much as possible.

Me, I wave to anyone on two wheels, sportbike, cruiser, or otherwise, regardless if they wave back. It doesn't bother me in the least. The only time I don't wave is if I am in the middle of a turn or any other move that warrants both my hands on the handlebars. I found that if I initiate the wave first, most times I'll get a wave back. I think it's more of a reflex action on their part but a wave none the less. I have my son nod so as to keep attention on the road until he has more experience.

We had this discussion on my Shadow forum, and I've found it's so not true. I myself find myself not waving sometimes, yup and its not because i'm rude it's because i just didn't see the other ride in time. So how do you know the harley riders that didn't wave back just didn't see you in time? Sure I have waved to someone and they didn't wave back, well they're not just harley riders, they sport bike riders as well as any other crusier riders. Some people just don't acknowlege the wave.
I have to admit I do feel dumb when i initiate the wave and get _________________ back but I get over it real quick and continue my ride.

I can do a study (non-scientific) for you if you want since I now have a cruiser and a sport bike, lets see who's more rude to the other type.

wave

I wave, or rather raise the fingers (all of them) off the left grip so the white palm of my hand is visible to all passing riders regardless of the type of bike or scooter. Sometimes a lone Harley rider will wave back, but never ones in a group. I couldn't care less if they do or not. Most of the sportbike guys and the scooter guys will. More and more of the V-Star crowd are not (eliteism must be growing! I guess Yamaha is hitting the right demographic after all these years). Goldwing guys almost always.

I work with a building full of Harley and Yamaharley guys and the Eliteism is sickening. "Jap scrap" comments, "Maybe when you grow up...", ad nauseum. And yet they know that performance and handling wise they couldn't hold a candle to the FZ, (even my FZ 600)(they even said as much). The cost of the Harley is disgusting! Over $48,000.00 for the boss's, Screaming Beagle.
Out on the road I wave , even at the Elite, and I will keep doing it ( with a sardonic grin inside my helmet). Maybe when they grow up.... but market branding runs deep in the feeble minded. I have thick skin, I'm a dispatcher.:nana:

Last edited:
When I rode the 750, there certainly was ocassion when sport bike riders didn't wave. But it was probably 2 in 10. Where as the Harley guys is 1 in 20. Its the old guys, the guys with no gear, the guys riding 10 under the speed limit, the guys wearing just shades.

When I rode the 750, there certainly was ocassion when sport bike riders didn't wave. But it was probably 2 in 10. Where as the Harley guys is 1 in 20. Its the old guys, the guys with no gear, the guys riding 10 under the speed limit, the guys wearing just shades.

Probably better if the nearly naked keep both hands on the bars and their full concentration on the job at hand anyway.

I wave at everyone on motorized two wheels unless I feel safer at the time not to wave. My experience has been that 90%+ wave back. Commonly if I am out on a ride, I might pass a group of 5+ bikes (cruisers) going the other way and they all wave back. Even when I am at a light waiting to turn left and a bike comes through the intersection, they usually nod their head. It may be different in other cities or areas but so far I have found bikers to be pretty friendly regardless of the bike they are on.

Maybe the locale - they all want to wave around here... too much so....

maybe they only wave at Liters!:nana: J/K :)

I get tired of waving - I might raise a piece sign, but don't take my hands off to do it.

Me, I wave to anyone on two wheels, sportbike, cruiser, or otherwise, regardless if they wave back. It doesn't bother me in the least. The only time I don't wave is if I am in the middle of a turn or any other move that warrants both my hands on the handlebars. I found that if I initiate the wave first, most times I'll get a wave back. I think it's more of a reflex action on their part but a wave none the less. I have my son nod so as to keep attention on the road until he has more experience.

Ditto. Here in Ea WA most everyone waves except a few Harley posers. All the die hards just like bikes. Me too I like em all. Even ugly ones but only at about 1:45 am.:retard:

This is funny, because I brought this up to my childhood friend after that wave protocol thread. He rides a Harley and so over a few beers I asked him what's with the not waiving to sport bike riders. He said usually by the time he notices we are already passed. Now...

From him I can see it, but I'm not at all convinced. I ride in an Army uniform everyday which I think is the only reason I get the occasional Harley rider acknowledgement, but most times its pretty clear they're not intersted in being friends - even from the dorks who are on their first bikes, wearing a shiny leather vest. But I get a kick out of the American flag wearing, Harley riding jack@$$ sticking his nose up to a soldier on an FZ1... I wish I could pull him over and remind him - same team F'er.. twice

if I can, not in a turn or other maneuver where I need my left fingers, I wave to any oncoming 2wheel-rider, and when I see them coming from behind. Sometimes I wave at young kids where I at first believe its a 250cc bike, but appears to be a 50CC....but often they wave back enthousiastically, having that feeling "yes he thinks I ride a big bike and great to be waved at"...I remember that sentiment when I rode my first bike and got greeted ...

waving???????? never really done that over here, maybe a bit of a wave come twirling of the hand to indicate to other riders if youve seen a speed camera van or parked up police car just down the road...........it all about the head nod here in the UK. nearly all riders greet each other that way over here, a sort of sideways nod of the head. Only time i dont nod is when is the Mrs is on the back then its her job to aknowledge other riders and i concentrate on riding sensible so she doesn't get upset! lol

I ride my wife'e fairly chromed out Harley on occasion. Harley riders definitely change their love level depending how is trying to be nice to them. When I owned a Honda st1300 they were really confused what to do. Is that a sport bike coming or a cruiser???

AW

I think it has a lot to do with the time of year or the weather too. When I was riding this winter, everybody waved. Hardly no exceptions. When the fair-weather riders got out, the snobbery began.

I used to drive a Jeep Wrangler and got used to the Jeep Wave. I still have trouble remembering NOT to wave at a Wrangler though even when i had my jeep, most people didn't wave. Sometimes when I'm in the car and see a bike, my first reaction is to wave.

Yes, i wave at anything on two wheels. When I can't wave, I nod. My non riding friends think that's the coolest part of motorcycling.

Kind of like how, in the south, black folk nod at one another in acknowledgement of...something. Kind of threw me a little when I moved to SoCal and black folk looked at me crazy for nodding.

Also, in the south, if somebody is in their front yard, You are supposed to wave. Especially when you are in the more rural areas.

I always wave or acknowledge the little kids that notice me too.

There are a bunch of kids around the neighborhood that like to wave as I go by. I can recall as a kid in San Antonio, one of our neighbors had a small dirt bike, I thought it was so cool. Some of my close neighbors sometimes follow me into the driveway after I get home and ask if they can have a ride...that one is up to their parental units.

Back