radiator fan problem

I dumped my bike a few months ago due to some gravel, I had to replace my radiator. my speedometer got trashed haven't got a new one yet. well my problem is that my fans wilkl not turn on, dont know if the bike is hot enough or if not having a speedometer is affecting it. please HELP

I dumped my bike a few months ago due to some gravel, I had to replace my radiator. my speedometer got trashed haven't got a new one yet. well my problem is that my fans will not turn on, don't know if the bike is hot enough or if not having a speedometer is affecting it. please HELP

Obviously there is a break in the control circuit somewhere and I am not that good at decifering the wiring diagram in the Shop manual. I wouldn't ride it until that is fixed though. You will get some serious heat spikes.

Have you used a multimeter on the fans to see if the circuit is good, are getting power? All the fuses good? (It is really easy to blow a fuse, especially when the instrument cluster-circuit board get trashed). It is possible that the temp reading/display in the instrument cluster is a neccesary part of that circuit. Might have to get a dealer involved, don't risk your motor.

Last edited:
I'm guessing by your avitar that you have a Gen. 2 And If I'm not mistaken, it has a temp light that comes on if it gets warm? If thats the case I'm inclined to think it is the guage clusters fault, with a broken relay or wire that either came loose or was unpluged or ripped loose.

I ran my bike for a while with out the speedo. Fans would still operate. So it's not that. But unless you know what the motor's temp is. It's hard to do any diag.
You can test the wireing or bypass the sensor *that will tell you the fans are working and that the wireing is good, aslo the fuse. But I would check the fuse first. It's easy and shoule be the first thing you check.

Hunnnnnn? Second guess, isn't there a thermostat that turns it on, somewhere on the radiator or on the motor coolant inlet? Mabe a faulty or intermittant, or broken wire there. Just as stumped as you, but there are only so many componants......... lol, call 'Click & Clack on NPR Sunday radio program, ...lol, no serriously, I'm thinking a wire just got yanked on when the dammage occured, but wasn't obvious or a visual thing, and with the sheathing, your not able to see it.

Hopefully someone here will chime in with better advice......than again theres those Click & Clack guys....lol.....

Back