r1 shift arm

R! shift arm

I got mine from Cougar over on the other forum. A standup guy to deal with and a good price. Are you also "Old School" on the FZ1OA forum? I'm not sure if you can open this link if you are not a member of FZ1OA, but try it, you can send him a PM: FZ1OA Message Board

What does this shift arm accomplish for the FZ1? I honestly never looked into this at all. Thanks!

*NM* I just read a couple threads on the other site. I see that the R1 arm is shorter so shifting is quicker but you have to use more force to get the shift done. FWIW? I only use the clutch from 1-2 and 2-1 and almost always skip the clutch from 2-6 and back. It's easy and smooth with proper throttle blips. I've done this with all my Yamaha bikes in the past. This one is no different. I've always assumed that most experienced riders do the same...

Last edited:
Most everyone i know uses the clutch. Right or wrong, I do too. Coming from ny triumph it was heavily recommend to always use it, not only by the dealer but the service manual too.

It is right to use the clutch but it isn't wrong to not use the clutch. Air shifters are designed to sync with the throttle and bypass the clutch. Done correctly (read: NO FORCE! :D ) there's no danger of damage to the gears or the shift forks. Forcing the shift will damage parts, typically bending the shift forks.

There's no right and wrong, just proper technique. Upshifting is easy... preload the shifter with some pressure then blip the throttle and is clicks into the next gear without fail. Downshifting is a little bit trickier but once you get the hang of it, you can fly through the gears... great for track days.

I've been doing it for years on many bikes and never had a tranny problem. :tup:

Back