R1 Master cylinder upgrade

bigbaddave43

I installed an 06 R1 m/c on my gen1. Bleeding the brakes is easier, since it has a bleed port at the top of the system. I like the feel that I get now and it didn't cost much. The hardest part was fabricating the reservoir bracket. I think that it looks more racy too. What do you think?

I will be doing the same thing as part of swapping to a set of R1 forks, 6 pot calipers, rotors and Spiegler brake lines. This is the only t hing that's not real clear - mounting the remote reservoir. It gets talked about a lot, but solutions are not real clear.

If you referred to this Rizoma mount - seems like this would mount reservoir too low assuming you can use the threaded hole that's used for the cable guide under the triple.

CT450 Rizoma Fluid Reservoir Bracket, PJ's Parts

Or was it this one -

CT451 Rizoma Fluid Reservoir Bracket, PJ's Parts

Pics of other installs would be helpful on deciding what to do. I'd like to have a clear solution in hand before I get started.

Last edited:
I will be doing the same thing as part of swapping to a set of R1 forks, 6 pot calipers, rotors and Spiegler brake lines. This is the only t hing that's not real clear - mounting the remote reservoir. It gets talked about a lot, but solutions are real clear.

Designing a reservoir mount isn't difficult, it was just the hardest part of the upgrade. The most common is to bolt the bracket to the master cylinder rear clamp. Some screw the bracket to the bar, while others use a simple clamp around the handle bar. I got the idea to twist mine while riding the twisted sisters route in south Texas. :th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I can post again - I couldn't post yesterday at all not matter what I tried....

Thanks, I didn't consider a separate handlebar clamp.... haven't seen it done that way.

I guess I can post again - I couldn't post yesterday at all not matter what I tried....

Thanks, I didn't consider a separate handlebar clamp.... haven't seen it done that way.

After the server crash it took a while to get some of the functionality back online so that's why you couldn't post until the evening.

I have seen some people use the plastic clamp from a bicycle reflector to mount the mc around the handle bar. It's the type of clamp that holds the reflector to the seat post on the bicycle. It looks pretty good and is a very cheap alternative.

I use a cateye bicycle reflector mount used for a seat post. They are black and blend in perfectly.

IMG_9776.jpg

Back