R1 Front end conversion complete and the verdict is............

Well, i had to try it to see if all the positive feedback about this modification was true. I must admit i have worn out the adjusters on my forks trying to find a reasonably good setup, but alas it was not to be!

My first consideration was to have the OEM's reworked by Maxton suspension here in Cheshire UK, but the quote of £550.00 seemed a little excessive, although £110.00 of that was VAT, Ouch!!!

I toted up the cost of R1 08 forks, MC, calipers, spacers, axle, fork oil, brake lines and fluid and this came to £675, so i bit the bullet and began ordering the parts.

Soon as i received the fork legs i replaced the oil. I had to make a fork spring compressor using a 80mm pipe clamp and two bolts with the ends ground to fit into the spacer holes, and four nuts (see pic). It was a bit fiddly using two ratchet straps to compress the spring but it was not that difficult a job once i had finished the first leg and knew exactly what i was doing with the second. Clamping the leg in a good vice, with padding was a great help.

I stripped down the calipers and replaced seals and pads, another straight forward job.

Off with the old and on with the new.
Put the bike on a rear stand and used a ratchet strap over a beam to hoist the front off the floor. After removing the front fairing so i could get at all the bolts easier, it took about half an hour to strip down.

The new legs slipped in with no problems, then the wheel, axle, calipers and mudguard. No problems at all..simple. I have the fork caps flush with the top of the top yoke, for now.

I had ordered the R1 braided brake lines from HEL and i must say the quality is first class. I think they were 65mm longer than standard to compensate for the increased distance between MC and calipers compared to the R1 set up. They went on just fine and i used two 30mm P clips on the lower yoke (after relocating the horn to the opposite side) to act as guides to prevent the lines rubbing.
A master cylinder fluid reservoir bracket was ordered from ebay Aluminium brake reservoir mount bracket streetfighter various colours | eBay
and fitted to the bars using a 22mm P clip.
Mmmm the dreaded bleeding. I used the traditional method of tube from nipple into glass filled with fluid and plenty of pumping, pumping and more pumping. As expected it took a while to bleed but i think the process was much quicker with the Radial MC having its own bleed nipple. Once bled i clamped the lever to the bar and left it overnight to allow any remaining air to rise up and out.

Now for the test ride.
As soon as i pulled away i noticed an immediate difference. The front feels firmly planted and provides good feedback and generally feels far more responsive than the OEM's. I need to adjust the settings as the rebound is to stiff and once done i am sure it will be even better.
The new six pots performance is amazing, i like the look but the extra stopping power from much less pressure on the lever is a big improvement. Not forgetting the OEM's were pretty damn good anyway.

Overall i am delighted with the improvement and consider this mod along with a replacement rear shock to be the first modification people should undertake. I can honestly say that it feels like i am riding a different bike.

So to end... i would like to thank those forum members who have taken the time to post here regarding this modification, without whom it would have meant i wasted my money going down the first option route of a revalve. :thewave:

Happy days and ride safe.

Wonder whats going to be next on the mod list.

Last edited:
I love the r1 frot end I put on mine. I went Ohlins front and rear with the 09 r1 fender too. If you like it now you'll love it with the rear shock upgrade to match. I had my suspension professionally tuned for my weight and riding style which made a MASSIVE difference. I have about 3mm of fork above the upper clamp which improved my turn in and direction changes a heap from when it was level. They also dropped 1psi on both tires too.

Nice! Pretty cool mod huh? It's a totally different bike.

:sport12:

On a side note:

What I don't get is the "value" in value added tax. Who does this "value?"

I love the r1 frot end I put on mine. I went Ohlins front and rear with the 09 r1 fender too. If you like it now you'll love it with the rear shock upgrade to match. I had my suspension professionally tuned for my weight and riding style which made a MASSIVE difference. I have about 3mm of fork above the upper clamp which improved my turn in and direction changes a heap from when it was level. They also dropped 1psi on both tires too.
07/08 (and probably the later ones) R1 forks are about 1cm shorter than the FZ1's. You say you put an R1 front end on yet went with Ohlins?? Are you talking internals or complete forks? Are your forks the stock R1 length or are they FZ1 length? . . .Basically installing the R1 forks flush with Triple already has the effect of lowering the stock height by about 1cm. Your 3mm tweak may not be applicable or wise on a R1 fork conversion.

Last edited:
Ohlins fgrt 206 up front and ya009 (well the 2013 version) on the rear. They are lower than the stock fz forks which I noticed improved turn in as soon as I rode it. Once it was tuned and the front lowered further it was even better. I ran the bike for a few months with both shocks installed to let the springs settle before taking it to racebike services to get tuned. I did the forks first and then the rear. When I put the rear on it was really tippy before the spring settled as the rear of the bike was jacked up. Having the wrong tension didn't help either.

Back