R1 Fork Conversion

B

Buildercher

Just brought a pair of 04-06 Gold R1 forks, axle & calipers off Fleebay. Got not bad deal $380 all up. I was eyeing up a set of 09 forks but the 04-06 forks worked out to be 1/2 the $ = No brainer. Question, can 07-08 25mm cartridge internals be swapped into the 04-06 forks?. Don't get me wrong, the stock FZ1 front-end has served me well, i installed a Race-tech rebound kit and Ohlins springs. They performed well, i did a dozen trackdays with them but at the end they still lack adjustment. The R1 forks are more conventional and can be upgraded to perform superior and the radial-mounted brakes. I will post pics after installing. Has anyone else done this conversion and can give me a bit of advice or tips?.

Last edited by a moderator:
when I decided the conversion,my only intent was give to my honey a radial caliper's set like every contenders on the market..My forks was modify with ohlins parts so first I looked for a radial caliper's support..you know,made in ergal only on commission,from numeric control machines..600€ + calipers that doesn't cost less than 300€.. I'm Personal Trainer and one of my customers was,on 2009/10 seasons,puccetti racing team:an R1 stock front fork+calipers is so easy to find from a sbk r1,and completly new!! At the end,loosing the fz1 fork's modification,I chose theR1 way and,luckily,I find the 2006 model that has 4 piston calipers: the 6 pistons looks horrible on fz1!!
But fz1 have compression on a side and ext on the other without a register on the down side,so the fz1 cartridge doesn't works on r1 fork..so unlukly I loose the fz1 modification and I put on the r1 fork another one..

just to have an idea:before after;the caliper's support solution;6 pitsons vs 4

I already have EBC Extreme HH pads which i can swap into the R1 4-pot calipers, also the calipers have a gold inserts which look kind of cool. I also choose to go with the gold forks instead of black to match my Ohlins @ rear, also i like the gold on yellow it is a bit different. In time i will upgrade the forks with revalving & springs. Question, can a 07-08 standard cartridge be used in 04-06 forks?. If so, this would prove to be a cheap temp upgrade as the 07-08 have 25mm cartridges.

yeah!!!R1 weigh 200kg since was born and I never saw her loose any comparative test for an insufficient brake system...if you read the 2009 R1 version,you note that engeneer use a lighter disc to compense the weigh of 6 pistons calipers (not suspension mass--giroscopic effect)..
But the answer to your last question,I have no..04/06 and 07/08 are 43mm made in kayaba and with a traditional adjust system,but I don't know if is enough to use the same cartridge..a dealer yamaha know it for sure!!

Why not? i am a bit confused, external they are the same KYB43U. Why wouldn't they slot straight in?.

Fork caps are different and they are not that cheap. It probably could be done, but is not a direct swap . . . you will have to invest $$$$$$$$ to make it work, which I believe, defeats the purpose of a cheap upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed the R1 forks & calipers today. Very straight forward, the most time consuming part were bleeding the brakes. First impressions= brakes feel 100% better, more feel & power. Forks= Alot more adjustment (comp & rebound), better feeling and more smoother than the wooden feeling FZ1 forks. When i am rich again, a re-valve and a pair of heavier springs will be on the list. Conclusion the R1 conversion is definately worth it IMO.

Great job guy!!! Compleatly different and absolutly better..but now these rubber tubes are in the wrong place..they need to go where you put the old fork ;-)

Just brought a pair of 04-06 Gold R1 forks, axle & calipers off Fleebay. Got not bad deal $380 all up. I was eyeing up a set of 09 forks but the 04-06 forks worked out to be 1/2 the $ = No brainer. Question, can 07-08 25mm cartridge internals be swapped into the 04-06 forks?. Don't get me wrong, the stock FZ1 front-end has served me well, i installed a Race-tech rebound kit and Ohlins springs. They performed well, i did a dozen trackdays with them but at the end they still lack adjustment. The R1 forks are more conventional and can be upgraded to perform superior and the radial-mounted brakes. I will post pics after installing. Has anyone else done this conversion and can give me a bit of advice or tips?.

Hi everyone, I'd love to know why my good KIWI friend Builderher was BANNED. He has the most tricked out FZ1 N in New Zealand, he is a hard rider and the only rider here to crack his frame on the weld from track days! Did he get smart or what but I like him and miss him on the forum. Maybe one day he can come back and share his great wealth of knowledge on FZ1 again. Im DJ NEZZ.

Hi everyone, I'd love to know why my good KIWI friend Builderher was BANNED. He has the most tricked out FZ1 N in New Zealand, he is a hard rider and the only rider here to crack his frame on the weld from track days! Did he get smart or what but I like him and miss him on the forum. Maybe one day he can come back and share his great wealth of knowledge on FZ1 again. Im DJ NEZZ.

Just reading the post I couldn't understand a BANNING from that?

Just reading the post I couldn't understand a BANNING from that?

Next time please send a PM instead of posting on here...he was banned for other issues, not because of this post.

Next time please send a PM instead of posting on here...he was banned for other issues, not because of this post.

Hi NJFZ1 and CorrectionsK9, You both have nice bikes close to my 07 FZ1 SV, tricked out and better than mine but here in NZ there is only a few of ous that have FZ1s tricked out and he was the one we were followering in our FZ1 life.

Hi NJFZ1 and CorrectionsK9, You both have nice bikes close to my 07 FZ1 SV, tricked out and better than mine but here in NZ there is only a few of ous that have FZ1s tricked out and he was the one we were followering in our FZ1 life.

Hello, fellow Kiwi here from Rotovegas. Your bike looks good mate. I ride a Kenny Roberts yellow FZ1n. Good times

Back