R1 fork conv brake question

Is having traxxion respring & valve FZ1 forks going to make a big difference from stock.

I feel like the suspension sucks on this bike but I'm not excited about spending $3000+ by the time I do shock, forks, brakes, etc...

I'm 220 lbs and have 15,000 miles on the bike, need to do something soon.

Is having traxxion respring & valve FZ1 forks going to make a big difference from stock.

I feel like the suspension sucks on this bike but I'm not excited about spending $3000+ by the time I do shock, forks, brakes, etc...

I'm 220 lbs and have 15,000 miles on the bike, need to do something soon.

Most likely it will make a different. One thing is that with the AK20 mod is that you are left running the FZ1 brake setup. By installing R1 forks with racetech cartridges you can run the R1 radial mounted six pot calipers, R1 rotors and R1 radial mounted MC. With either the AK20s or racetech cartridges the forks start damping right away. With the stock FZ1 and R1 forks damping starts about an inch into compression. With this type of upgrade you can also sell your stock Fz1 parts.

Last edited:
Most likely it will make a different. One thing is that with the AK20 mod is that you are left running the FZ1 brake setup. By installing R1 forks with racetech cartridges you can run the R1 radial mounted six pot calipers, R1 rotors and R1 radial mounted MC. With either the AK20s or racetech cartridges the fork start damping right away. With the stock FZ1 and R1 forks damping starts about an inch into compression. With this type of upgrade you can also sell your stock Fz1 parts.

One more thing to consider is that the R1 forks are about 16 mm shorter than the FZ1 forks. At time of the fork upgrade I already have a penske rear shock that came about 6 mm longer than stock. That along with the stock R1 shocks being shorter tended to overload the front wheel. I installed a set of the graves R1 extended fork caps (15 mm longer than stock) to unload the front wheel.

I was lucky in that I got an extremely good deal on used R1 forks with the racetech cartridges. Lenny Albin of Superbike Chassis did my setup. Lenny is track side for Ohlins USA at all the AMA Superbike races putting the magic tune on the race bikes. He's also a way nice guy.

Last edited:
One more thing to consider is that the R1 forks are about 16 mm shorter than the FZ1 forks. At time of the fork upgrade I already have a penske rear shock that came about 6 mm longer than stock. That along with the stock R1 shocks being shorter tended to overload the front wheel. I installed a set of the graves R1 extended fork caps (15 mm longer than stock) to unload the front wheel.

I was lucky in that I got an extremely good deal on used R1 forks with the racetech cartridges. Lenny Albin of Superbike Chassis did my setup. Lenny is track side for Ohlins USA at all the AMA Superbike races putting the magic tune on the race bikes. He's also a way nice guy.

I am personally running a Penske rear shock (about 5mm longer than stock) with a set of 08 r1 forks without any extension caps etc. Turn in is excellent but the bike is not overly twitchy either. Basically the slightly shorter forks are not really an issue in my experience . . .

I am personally running a Penske rear shock (about 5mm longer than stock) with a set of 08 r1 forks without any extension caps etc. Turn in is excellent but the bike is not overly twitchy either. Basically the slightly shorter forks are not really an issue in my experience . . .

Are you running a 190/50 or 190/55 rear tire?

Back