R1 engine

I was hoping that was all it took was to swap over the engine and elctronics. I want a sleeper. I get all kind of looks from people. I want the one that soay wtf was that. HEE HEE

Lot's of people have talked about doing this.
I really think it would be easier to disguise an R1 and make it look like an FZ1. That way you are only dealing with body fairings and raising the handlebars. Plus you get to keep all the best suspension, braking, etc. That would be one badass FZR1 :sinister:

Right now its just an idea. Will take time and money for sure. The reason I would try and modify the FZ verse the R1 is lets face it insurance is so much cheaper on the FZ and besides its paid for.But if I do take on this project I will deffinately take picturres from start to finish.

Right now its just an idea. Will take time and money for sure. The reason I would try and modify the FZ verse the R1 is lets face it insurance is so much cheaper on the FZ and besides its paid for.But if I do take on this project I will deffinately take picturres from start to finish.

Well if your goal is to "save" money I don't think this it will net out in the end. However, it will be a fun project and you'll learn a lot.

Well I do like projects and challanges and I know this would be one. If I do take on this project its not really about the money, but more about can I do it.

R1's and FZ1's are as different as they are similar.
Even though a lot of FZ1 riders blow A LOT of money to make their FZ's more like an R1 - you don't realize how different they are until you really spend some time on an R1.
I realize that you are just kicking around ideas but the best way to enjoy these bikes is to own both. If that is not viable then the next best plan is to make an R1 more FZ1 similar. Unless this idea of dropping an R1 engine into your FZ1 is just an idea that you are set on doing - you will probably spend more money on transforming an FZ1 into an R1. However if that is what you have your heart set on - go for it. It's your bike and it's your money. Do what you feel you want to do. Just spend some time on the forums reading our talks about whether the upgrades are worth it. It just depends on how you look at it. A lot of us have spent a lot of money trying to transform and upgrade our FZ1's. I don't regret the upgrades I have done but I certainly notice the amount of money that I have dumped into my FZ1.
I also want to point out that these 2 bikes have very individual personalities. After spending time on my R1 I have really come to appreciate the smooth and easy transition of the FZ1. It is a pleasure to ride this motorcycle! The R1 has power spitting out it's ears and much better handling. Not close to being as comfortable. All total - owning an R1 and an FZ1 has made me appreciate my FZ1 more. At the end of the day - I cannot say either bike is better - they are different and it depends on what you want as to which bike fits your needs the best.
Good luck with this project if you decide to roll on your own. It's a big undertaking. Hope it goes well.

Last edited:
Back