R1 dogbone to lift rear?

Matt C.

Hey guys, I think I read somewhere that a dogbone off of a 04-06 R1 would help raise the rear of the FZ1 a bit? I cant lower my front because I have FZ8 risers. Will this work for a cheap fix? I know a 190/55 will help but I have fairly new tires and cant afford a new rear shock yet. Its on the list tho.

Thanks

Matt

Raising Rear

Keep in mind putting a larger tire on isn't the same as raising the rear as you will reduce your swing arm angle and hence increase squat on acceleration. Extending the shock length or adding height with dog bones will both increase swing arm angle. Best bet is the longer shock as the dog bones will also create an increased rising rate of force on your shock as it compresses it. Likely subtle changes for most riding but there is a difference. Raising the rear definitely helps it lean and turn better without too much danger of losing the front end as that bike has a fair bit of trail as it comes stock (raising the rear reduces both rake and trail).

Thanks for the replies. Great info. I just fitted a 08 R1 rear shock on with the Satan666 adapter. It raised the rear about 3/4". Its not much at all but the ride is tons better. I'm still on the fence about the dogbones now.

Thank again

Matt

Back