R1 Damper?

bigbaddave43

I picked up a nice R1 steering damp a while back with some other parts. I finally installed it. It works fine around town. I need to take it out on some of these heavily grooved roads to see if it feels more stable. I haven't seen an installation quite like mine before, so I thought I should post it. I know that many of you don't think that a damper is necessary, but that isn't the topic here. So please start a new thread if you want to beat a dead horse. Thanks.

Nope, only the confused, delusional guy at the other place thinks you don't need one. He's never powered over Wheelie Hill to know that every bike can benefit from one.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

Nice install you did there. I guess the only drawback to the R1 damper is that it's not adjustable, but if it does the job then I guess it's fine. And I agree with Pete...you don't think you need one until the first time you get major head shake when you least expect it...

Full range of motion from steering lock to lock?

How much clearance is between the damper and the tank?

Full range, stop to stop. Clearance is 1/4" At both ends of the damper. 1/4" between mount and tank. The damper is in effect through the full range without dead spot at left extreme. The first couple of configurations had issues at the left extreme end of travel. The gen 1 is a tough nut to engineer with a short stroke damper. Everything is reversible.

Last edited:
Back