QUIET Helmets

I'v been riding for a long while, decade's. I'v recently gotten myself a Fulmar modular helmet, and while its so convienient, there are drawbacks to it. The major complaint is that it's just plain wind/noisy. A neck gaitor may remedy that a bit, but with warmer temps just around the next corner/month, thats not much of a fix. The HJC's and KBC's (full helmets) that I had seemed to be much quieter, speciffically the HJC. I was looking through Bell's helmets and saw something that looks like the wind around the neck would be signifficantly reduced. While this is a NASCAR type helmet, I do believe I'v seen something like this for the motorcycle crowd. Anyone got any ideas. I want to be able to hear my motor over the wind while riding. I'm not much of an earplug kind of guy either, so thats not really something I'm likely to entertain.

Last edited:
a helmet being quiet is something that depends greatly on your shape of head, and how much you're willing to spend...
I've had damn near every helmet available on the market, and each had their upsides, and downsides FOR ME.

Icon
- Heavy as a brick, wind noise was crazy.
HJC - A little lighter and quieter than the Icon, but still not quiet by any means.
Scorpion EXO400 - What I'm currently wearing. It's relatively quiet as long as it's clean. As soon as you get a few bugs splattered on it, it gets a bit louder.... Very light in comparison to the ones above, and though it's not the quietest helmet out there, for the price point, it's very acceptable. I can hear a bit of wind, but I can also hear the bike's engine and what's going on around me very clearly.
Arai - You have to have an "Arai Shaped" head... For me, the helmet always rubbed the front of my forehead uncomfortably. It was reasonably quiet, about the same as my Scorpion. However... for the $$$$$ the build quality is crap. There was a rubber "ring" that went around the bottom of the helmet that kind of connected the outer shell to the inner foam/padding... that ring fell off after about 3 months. I contacted Arai about it, and they recommended that I glue it back on with rubber cement... ... ... For a $600 helmet. They can kiss my A$$.
Z1R - This helmet raised a lot of interest all over when about 3 years ago, a motorcycle magazine did an independent helmet test. The Z1R was a top performer when it came to crash testing. This $89 helmet actually did a good bit better than helmets 5x its cost. But... it's heavy and it's loud. It's like riding without a helmet on as far as noise, and as far as weight, it was like duct taping a cinderblock to your head.
AFX - Another "entry-level" priced helmet: Loud. heavy. Built cheap.
AGV - Very similar to the Arai. Once again, you have to have a AGV shaped head. I had the same problem with rubbing the front of my forehead, but none of the quality concerns that the Arai had. In my opinion, the AGV was much better built than the Arai.

Those are the ones I have personal experience with...

But, let me say about the "Bell" helmets.... They sell them at Wal-Mart. For about $40. ... ... ... I don't think I have to say much more.

I'd like to try a Shark, or a SparX next... The SparX is very tempting, as they carry a replacement warranty... If you go down, and tear up the helmet in the wreck, you can send it back to SparX, and they'll send you a new one Gratis. ...

For further info, check out: Home | Helmet Harbor They do reviews, and videos and rank the helmets by weight, noise, and Ventilation. ... These people have become my "go-to" guys when I'm in the market for a new helmet.

I have always worn full face Shoei helmets because they fit my head shape better than Arai's and they are a quality helmet. I knew one of the local Yamaha racers and he convinced me that the money spent on a good helmet was never a bad investment. Look at the cost spread over 5 years and consider it life insurance if it helps justify. The narrower at the bottom opening (and still fits) the quieter it will be. Also the fewer vents the quieter it will be. The shield has to fit without gaps against the opening for a quiet helmet as well. The Shoei TZR is know for being quiet. The newest Shoeis like the RF 1100 and X-12 have a visor system that pulls the visor against the seal when it closes making the helmet quieter. The X-12 has too many vents to be really quiet though.
It all comes down to research and comprimise. If you ride in a hot climate you will be willing to give up some quiet for a cooler helmet and thus noisier. If you want the convenience of the flip up you will get a noisier helmet. There is no "perfect" helmet for everyone, just the best for any one. Web bike world has done tons of reviews, just comes down to homework. There will be no shortage of opinions on the suject and now you have mine. Just remember it is true that you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Good shark is quiet, the race one, like rs7x or something. But if you go shark, best to try one on first as it's hard to fit one right.

Ear plugs????

I have a shoei x11, one of the few helmets that fit me well, all the reviews I read said it was quiet, but on my particular bike, it sounds like a jack hammer going off in my head. With ear plugs, I can sustain 500-700 mile days with no issue.

My RF-1000 isn't the quietest but it is quieter than the Z1R Stance. Those are the only two I can compare at this time.

Regardless of the helmet, ear protection is always recommended!

Thanks all ......I guess it might come down to actually wearing earplugs mabe.

You'll thank us in....

I said "You'll than......

No, no... I said "You'll THANK....

NO! I said "You WILL THANK U....

OMG!!! Listen to me! I......

I SAID "YOU SHOULD HAVE WORN EAR PLUGS RIDING! Oh.... never mind.... yes, yes, I know, You should have corn and beer mugs....

For sure, earplugs. Even with a shark. Buy them in a box of 200 if you ride a lot. Like 30 bucks.

Shoei's Multitec is almost as quiet as their full face helmets. I've been happy with mine for a couple of years now. (order one size down)
ShoeiMultitec.jpg
Shoeiopen.jpg

I'm an advocate of ear plugs as well. The evidence is compelling: w/o ear plugs, a motorcyclist will damage their hearing over time. The trick (IMO) is finding earplugs which let in enough sound to allow one to utilize some hearing for safety and convenience but screen out harmful sounds.
E-A-R Push-Ins No-Roll Foam Ear Plugs (NRR 28)
earplugstore_2093_9639293.jpg

I've landed on those above. They're easy to insert and I can hear just enough. I purchased them from the Ear Plug Superstore E-A-R Push-Ins No-Roll Foam Ear Plugs (NRR 28) - E-A-R Push-Ins No-Roll Foam Ear Plugs Corded (NRR 28)

Last edited:
Someone mentioned that part of the quiet equation is how well the helmet fits your head (and of course part of this is getting the helmet sizing right when you buy); too loose and you will have more space for air. Another thing that effects helmet noise is the airflow from the windscreen. Many FJR riders complain that they cant get "clean air" and this causes buffeting as well as noise.

That said, I would definately take a look at the RF1100. I have about 500 miles on mine and it is definately better than the RF1000. And the venting is just the best I have seen.

PS I wear earplugs from Lowes. I think 80 are about 15 bucks. but I am liking Polestar's plugs!

Last edited:
I use these - moldex purafit

moldex

They come a bit long, so I usually trim off about 7mm or so. They fit better under the helmet and are very comfortable, even after a long day of riding.

Back