quick question

Ok folks, I know this sounds like a duhhh question but, when you are at a stop light with both feet down, do you have them in front of the foot peg or behind :confused: Coming from a cruiser to my first sportbike, sometimes i dont know what to do. It's actually funny to see me figure where i want to put my feet, well I'm the only one that knows this, everyone else around me thinks I know what I'm doing.

There are people on this forums with years more experience than me, that being said I've alway been told it's a matter of comfort. Your feet should be planted firmly, enough so that you can support the weight of the bike. For me that is right behind the foot pegs but it might differ for you.

My foot always tends to want to set down in front of the peg. Like FZ1fun says though it should be a matter of what's more comfortable to you. I don't think there's really a right way. If you stop and fall over though it's pretty safe to say you're doing it wrong. :poke:

Oddly enough though, when I'm stabilizing the bike for the wife to get on I plant my feet behind the pegs.

This used to really bug me too, my shins wanted to go right where my pegs went. The more I used the bike, the more I got used to where the pegs were. For me it worked ok to put my feet behind the pegs when I came to a stop.

My foot always tends to want to set down in front of the peg. Like FZ1fun says though it should be a matter of what's more comfortable to you. I don't think there's really a right way. If you stop and fall over though it's pretty safe to say you're doing it wrong. :poke:

Oddly enough though, when I'm stabilizing the bike for the wife to get on I plant my feet behind the pegs.

yea I like to sit far back but when I stop if i sit far back then I'm tipied toe, unless I slide all the way towards the tank then I'm flat footed. I fine with the tipied toe since I haven't carried or plan to carry anyone on my FZ1, I have had a few passengers on my cruiser. My 11 yr old daughter is a regular

Funny that this topic comes up. Coming to the FZ1 from a bike with clip-ons and rearsets the stock foot pegs drove me bananas, every time I put my feet down the insides of my legs hit the outside of the footpegs. Well that was solved with a set of "real" rearsets. :party0011: Now my legs are in front of the peg at a stop. Sometimes I leave my right foot on the peg to over the brake if I'm on a down hill.

Well at 6'2" with a 34" inseam I have no trouble planting my feet on the ground. Usually try and keep them in front the pegs and away from the bike for better stability. It just makes it easier to take off...at least for me.

Last edited:
you are fortunate being able to choose where to put ur feet.

I am 5"2 and when I put both feet down it will only touch my toes. But I was able to figure out the best position which is the back of the peg with just 1 feet down.

I'm 5'10" 32" inseam and I can put my feet down fine in front of the pegs. Plus the pegs pivot backwards so when you start going it's easy to get onto the peg and pivot if the back of your leg hits it.

I may try the behind the peg just to see how it feels, hope I don't get off balance and look like a :squid[1]:

I never really payed attention to that. I tend to put my leftfoot down on the grond, and keep the rightfoot on the peg, close to the breakpedal in case needed...My foot is next to the peg, slightly in front

you are fortunate being able to choose where to put ur feet.

I am 5"2 and when I put both feet down it will only touch my toes. But I was able to figure out the best position which is the back of the peg with just 1 feet down.

same here bro 5 2" 115Lbs of pure muscles :D, so I'm always on my tip toe unless I'm practically sitting on the tank (ok exagerrated), sitting up against the tank

LOL!! Im 5'6 1/2" the seating on the fz is a bit high but still ok.
But remember when stopped left foot on the ground and right foot on rear brake just in case you get a hit up the rear it can stop you from being catapulted into the car in front or into traffic.

I'm only 5'6" with a 29 inch inseam, so I place my feet where comfortable when I stop. If at a long stoplight, I will usually scoot close to the tank and put both feet down in front of the pegs. Well the balls of my feet anyway. If the stop is short, I usually keep my right foot on the peg and place my left foot down just behind the peg. ((Again, only the ball)) If it's simply stop and go, I rarely touch down unless the Police are near, but even then I usually stop quickly enough to use my fork rebound to start me rolling backwards, meaning that I had to come to a full stop for a fraction of a second. On flat pavement, I have actually just light pushed down on my centerstand to stabilize me and keep me up right.

yeah the fz1 is funny the first thing i noticed when i sat on the bike is that the foot pegs are right where i would usually put my legs my previous bike was a GSX1400 i am used to it now and mostly put my legs to the front

Back