Quick power jack

bsly

Im taking the FZ1 on a week long trip in just a few days. I didnt have time to get a nice power jack and properly splice it into the wiring harness but I am desperate for a method to charge my cell phone during the trip.

Would it be possible for me to attach a power jack by wiring directly to the battery terminals. I only need it for plugging in my cell phone and keeping it charged as necessary, nothing else will be plugged into it.

I was going to go to autozone or advanced auto parts for a jack, but wanted advice first. Thanks

Im taking the FZ1 on a week long trip in just a few days. I didnt have time to get a nice power jack and properly splice it into the wiring harness but I am desperate for a method to charge my cell phone during the trip.

Would it be possible for me to attach a power jack by wiring directly to the battery terminals. I only need it for plugging in my cell phone and keeping it charged as necessary, nothing else will be plugged into it.

I was going to go to autozone or advanced auto parts for a jack, but wanted advice first. Thanks

Yea, that should work just fine on a temporary basis. Just make sure you put an inline fuse on the positive power jack terminal close to battery. I would think a 5 amp one should suffice.

FWIW, I tapped off the front market light to power my gps and radar detector/ext speaker. All 3 draw less than an amp, so should be in good shape. Eventually I'll rewire it all using a distribution block, but this works for now.

Im going to get a distribution block in the future as well. Seems like the most logical approach for powered accessories.

Ok, I got a cheap all purpose power outlet with an L shape bracket on the side. I used a dremel to enlarge the hole in the bracket and bolted it to the chain side rear peg mount (where the peg mount bolts to the the frame). The opening of the power jack faces forward and down and the wires going to the battery will only need to be about 10 inches long. I also got a 5 amp inline fuse.

Now my only issue is devising a way to protect the back of the power jack where the wires come out of it, since it will be prone to water being flung up by the tire if I hit any rain. I could wrap it with some sort of waterproof tape, but would prefer to find some sort of rubber or plastic plug I can put a hole through for the wires.
I'll go back to the parts stores tomorrow and browse around for something that might work. I'll also add some pics of the project.

Anybody have suggestions for waterproofing the back of the power outlet?

May be to late, but also some shrink tubing would be good. Push it up so it slightly covers where the wires exit the housing and shrink it up. Most shrink tubing reduces it's size by 1/2...ie. 1/2" shrink tubing will shrink to 1/4". Get it at any hardware store or radio shack in the electrical sections.

Silicone tape. It comes in clear and black. It is extremely sticky to itself and just feels like rubber to the touch. Use it like you do electrical tape, stretching it as you go. It is totally waterproof and very durable. Most Autoparts stores should carry it. It is easy to spot as it has clear film between the layers. No shop should be without it. If you slip and it gets stuck to itself (where you don't want it) it is next to impossible to undo.

Back