questions about my fz1

02 fz1

im new to the fz1 and have so many questions! a have a o2 and i cant get it to fire! cleaned the jets but i think i need to tear the carbs apart completely. any input would be helpful. also need to figure out the wiring i think a crackhead had it last!!!! and will a r1 header exhaust fit on that motor??? i figured if anyone could help me it would be you guys!!! i appreciate it! thanx

im new to the fz1 and have so many questions! a have a o2 and i cant get it to fire! cleaned the jets but i think i need to tear the carbs apart completely. any input would be helpful. also need to figure out the wiring i think a crackhead had it last!!!! and will a r1 header exhaust fit on that motor??? i figured if anyone could help me it would be you guys!!! i appreciate it! thanx

I have an 01' and may be able to help you along but you'd have to give me some more info on the situation.

Was the bike sitting for a long time?
Have you checked for spark?
have you changed the plugs?
Is the battery fully charged?
Was it running prior to this problem?
Is it trying to turn over at all?

Fill us in some more.
P.S. Welcome to the board. I hope we can help you through the issue.

thank u 4 replying! it has spark, it was sitting for two years, i did not change the plugs, battery is charged, it did run(so he said), i sprayed starting fluid in the carbs and it fired for a second!!!! that was a good thing! so i took the bowls off the carbs and they look and smell like crap!!!! never delt with multiple carbs so a little nervous to go to deep in them! as far as seperating them! i cant find anything online about them, and no rebuild kits available that ive found in town.
u guys sound like u know your stuff so im excited for your input!!!!! thanx for the welcoming!!!!

thank u 4 replying! it has spark, it was sitting for two years, i did not change the plugs, battery is charged, it did run(so he said), i sprayed starting fluid in the carbs and it fired for a second!!!! that was a good thing! so i took the bowls off the carbs and they look and smell like crap!!!! never delt with multiple carbs so a little nervous to go to deep in them! as far as seperating them! i cant find anything online about them, and no rebuild kits available that ive found in town.
u guys sound like u know your stuff so im excited for your input!!!!! thanx for the welcoming!!!!

Well, with all the additives in our gas these days, it doesn't take but a few months the gum everything up. It's great that you have spark. That rules out alot of problems. I can't bet my azz that it's your carbs. These carbs are very sensitive to any kind of dirt and crud. It's harder to remove the bank of carbs than it is to clean them. Once they are out it's a pretty simple job. What I did was take them out as a set and then clean them one at a time. It takes about the same amount of time than if you remove all the floats at once. You don't need to go crazy.

Remove the carbs as a unit. Remove the first float bowl followed by the float itself. Once it is out it's just a matter of removing the jets one at a time and clean them out. Many guys use guitar strings to remove the gunk. Blow each one out with compressed air and make sure that you can see through them. Also, make sure you have a quality screwdriver that fits tightly in the jet. They can easily be knarled. When replacing the jet just set it down snug. Don't go nuts tightening them. Before you replace the jet, spray cleaner into the orafice on the carb and use only LIGHT AIR, do not have your compressor on 90 psi. You just want to gently blow it out. Clean the bottom of the float bowl of any dirt, no matter how little. Clean it all. You will have to measure your float height as well before locking everything up. I forget how many millimeters to set them but I'll find out for you. I think I have a step by step, or at least an exploded diagram of the carbs which I will look for and post for you.

The only other alternative, if you think it's too big a job to do on your own is to remove them and bring them to a dealer and have them clean them for you. Once you do it once you'll never bring them to anyone again. If your mechanically inclined you can do it. Just take your time. Let me see if I can find some pics for you.;)

man i cant thank u enough! this is really going to help me out! im gonna do it myself so ll keep u posted on how its going. thank you again for your help!:stirpot:

Back