Question on bike worth

JMundy

so it looks like I am gonna try to sell my FZ1 for a R1 or R6. not too happy as I do like the bike, but im just not comfy as well. Rode it for 100 miles Saturday and same pains in the ass I keep getting I never had with my old R6.

So I put it on craigslist and would like some input from other members if they think its priced and listed accurately. all 2nd gen FZ1 in my area are asking $7000 and up, none with luggage. One was bone stock and wanting 7800.

Here is my post and any and all feedback is appreciated

2008 Yamaha FZ1

First and foremost, I'd part the bike out. You'll get a lot more ROI that way.

A few thoughts:

- Your Givi cases are worth more on their own. The set of 3 is worth a mint and detaching them from the bike opens up a lot more potential sellers.
- I know a few people on this forum are interested in the Givi quick release racks. Sell them here.
- The windscreen is an easy sell. Just throw your stock one back on.

Last edited:

A few thoughts:

- Your Givi cases are worth more on their own. The set of 3 is worth a mint and detaching them from the bike opens up a lot more potential sellers.
- I know a few people on this forum are interested in the Givi quick release racks. Sell them here.

Agreed. I paid $5k for my 08 almost 2 years ago.

Nice bike sorry it didn't work out for you... good luck!

Thank You

I would buy an R1 in a heartbeat if I could hack the ergos. Good luck with the sale.
Sent from my GT-I9300

Thank you. Most people are more comfortable on the FZ1, which is why I bought it but I guess I ride too aggressively to be comfortable.

A few thoughts:

Very good points. Ill give it a few weeks and if no luck ill definitely will give it a thought.

^+1 to Dustin's sentiments; Sell off all of the aftermarket accessories. It can be a bit of a hassle but your net gain will be much more in the end.

As for the pricing: First; is there a reason that you could not wait until spring? Warm weather, tax returns, and cabin fever all have a great positive impact on bike sales.

Second, I feel you price is quite a bit on the high side. Try not to judge your pricing based solely off Craigslist as they are often significantly inflated. Take a look at completed eBay listings; you can see what bike have actually sold for instaed of what your neighbor may be asking.

Keep in mind pricing on new (Such as the FZ-09) and left-over bikes. The FZ-09 is not the same bike I understand, but people will surely make the comparison against a used bike in the same price range.

FYI: I paid $5K for my 09' w/ 5,500 miles just a few months ago

Just my 2-Cents

I am interested in the Givi luggage but have to wait till after the new year before buying anymore stuff for the bike.

I didn't see the mileage in your ad. I always look at mileage first thing.

I am interested in the Givi luggage but have to wait till after the new year before buying anymore stuff for the bike.

I didn't see the mileage in your ad. I always look at mileage first thing.

Mileage is 9200, ill check listing but I was sure it was there

All really good points, and the left over FZ1's go for about 9K here before tax's and setup fee's.

I would definitely do less on the price, but not much less. Its priced higher than im expected so the buyer can talk me down a little

I bought my 2007 at the end of 2009 in California for $6500. It was stock with 12K miles on the original tires. Your bike is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I would agree with removing the luggage and racks and selling separately.

GLWS!

Seems like a good price.
Lowest I've seen a Gen II - 06 - lately is around 5,400 - nothing on it.

Two years newer - with the racks and cases for 7,000. Seems good.

There are some new 2012's around advertised for 7,999. But that is without freight and junk fees added. So 2012's for around 8,800 -- maybe...

Seems like a good price.
Lowest I've seen a Gen II - 06 - lately is around 5,400 - nothing on it.

Two years newer - with the racks and cases for 7,000. Seems good.

There are some new 2012's around advertised for 7,999. But that is without freight and junk fees added. So 2012's for around 8,800 -- maybe...

My lowest price I will take is $6,000. So im hoping the potential buyer will offer that or more and they will feel satisfied with the price. Everyone where I live will want to haggle down hard, so that's why its at $7K to start. If it was bone stock even 6 would probably be over priced.

Off topic slightly, what is a fair amount I could sell the givi setup for on here?

I priced out a new Givi set like your bike has to get an idea of what's fair for a lightly used set. I went to TwistedThrottle.com for this and you may be able to find better deals if you piece together from other sellers.

Rapid release side racks: $230
Monolock topcase rack: $160
V35 side cases: $520
E370 Monolock top case: $160

You're well over $1000 plus taxes and shipping (if applicable)

I'd say $700 shipped CONUS for forum mates and $850 if you're posting it on Craigslist. They look mint in your photos.

I priced out a new Givi set like your bike has to get an idea of what's fair for a lightly used set. I went to TwistedThrottle.com for this and you may be able to find better deals if you piece together from other sellers.

Rapid release side racks: $230
Monolock topcase rack: $160
V35 side cases: $520
E370 Monolock top case: $160

You're well over $1000 plus taxes and shipping (if applicable)

I'd say $700 shipped CONUS for forum mates and $850 if you're posting it on Craigslist. They look mint in your photos.

That's kinda the pricing I was thinking.

They are almost mint... some shoe scuffs on side cases from wife, and one of the lines that hold the lid on the sides from opening all the way, holds to a 90* angle, has a screw that stripped out of the case.

Hmm might be worth removing it then

I think $6300 and your bike would sell fast. Add the $1000 worth of accessories you can sell on your own and you'll have done well. Do you have the stock exhaust to put back on?

Last edited:
I think $6300 and your bike would sell fast. Add the $1000 worth of accessories you can sell on your own and you'll have done well. Do you have the stock exhaust to put back on?

you saying 6300 WITHOUT bags?

no on stock exhaust, this exhaust was on it when I bought it

Yep, ask $6300 without bags on your local Craigslist. Prices are slightly elevated in Washington, as they are here in BC. I think you could fetch at least $6000 in the spring for that bike to a local buyer.

Sell the bags and windscreen off on their own :cheerleader:

Are the slip-ons on the gen 2 easily reversible? You don't have to cut the stock one, etc. It would be worthwhile for him to trade for a stock exhaust + cash if that was the case.

Also +1 on the windscreen, you'll get a lot more ROI from selling it on its own.

Back