Question for a possible Gen II mod...

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
Has anyone created a soft saddle bag luggage support for the Gen II? I'm thinking something simple that can bolt on... I've looked into buying something but holy crap! They want a lot of money for something so simplistic in nature and materials.

I'm thinking just this simple... (I've seen this someplace before....) it would bolt on by being sandwiched between the fender and the tail using the existing hardware. It's a simple piece of steel bent in four places and a length of steel rod welded to each edge to support the bags. You could even do a plate instead of a rod there if you wanted. The rod/plate would extend out to the vertical distance of the grab rails and keep the saddle bags perfectly level. Or, with plates in place, you could extend it a bit further so the bags do not rub on the rails at all.

Here's a very rough Paint drawing...

attachment.php

Last edited:
You may want to ask Lee (Oldschool) about the Givi ones. I think he had them and recently gave them (or sold them) to a member on here. I'm thinking you can fabricate your own ;)

You may want to ask Lee (Oldschool) about the Givi ones. I think he had them and recently gave them (or sold them) to a member on here. I'm thinking you can fabricate your own ;)

I really need to buy a light duty welder! Thanks Tony. Lee will chime in, I'm sure! He's another Fab-King!

I really need to buy a light duty welder! Thanks Tony. Lee will chime in, I'm sure! He's another Fab-King!

The drawing that you made looks like an easy fab, with either aluminum or light steel. I would suggest making a physical template out of light cardboard (cereal box material works great). Any metal shop can put the bends in for you, or you can use a vise and a hammer. The rods on the end can also be welded at your local metral shop or mechanics place. Then get it powder coated, as paint will be very quick to be worn off and you will always be repainting it. The design looks simple and sound, go for it.

just throwing out design "what ifs"....

what guage would you use for if it is not thick enough, or reinforced somehow, could buckle from the weight of the bags if the bags are not securely fastened to eliminate movement....

eventually you could find yourself in the situation of resting upon the rear tail/rails when you are trying to find a soultion to the problem to begin with....

just throwing out design "what ifs"....

what guage would you use for if it is not thick enough, or reinforced somehow, could buckle from the weight of the bags if the bags are not securely fastened to eliminate movement....

eventually you could find yourself in the situation of resting upon the rear tail/rails when you are trying to find a soultion to the problem to begin with....

Good point Adam. But I think that the soft bags would give out if I put enough weight in them to buckle this metal. It would be at least as heavy as the stock fender bracket which is more than adequate. :D

Good point Adam. But I think that the soft bags would give out if I put enough weight in them to buckle this metal. It would be at least as heavy as the stock fender bracket which is more than adequate. :D

1/8 th inch Aluminum would be more than sufficient to hold anything that the tail section could handle. The trick to adding strenght is to put a bend (even just slightly) along the direction that you want to increase strenght. That is why I put bends along the edges of the seat rack that I made. Light and strong. Erics basic design is good (although it reminds me of the Vulcan shuttle from Star Trek The Motion Picture)

The design looks pretty good. I'd definitely go for a solid structure. I'm not a saddlebag guy, I use duffles bungied down on the seat. Last year when I went out to Arizona, I had a duffle that weighed almost 50 lbs. Of course, I was on a 10 day trip and I had everything but the kitchen sink, including my chain cleaner and wax. Adam can attest to the bulk of the thing. It would take a heavy duty frame to support that kind of weight.

Eric, Fred was looking at my bike a few weeks ago and thinks he can whip something up. But for $62.00 I may just buy one of those. Fred can be slow.

On my last trip my trusty 1X2 fell out, I should have bungeed it on, or at least duck taped it, quack. Oh well, it worked on all three bikes at least.

If I had a welder, I'd make one here. But I'm working on that. :D The other local Eric (oldfast007) has one but we need to make plans for myself to get up there with the parts and the bikes so it can all be welded. :D

Let me know if Fred does come up with a prototype! Thanks Pete!

Back