Question about painting stock exhaust heat shields

Like many of you, I don't like the look of the original exhaust, but I don't want anything louder and all aftermarket ones seem a lot louder.
My favourite is the Mivv GP but it is very loud. The Akrapovic could be an option, but it is expensive and very long.

To make the stock exhaust look better I want to paint the heat shields in black like the ones in the 2010 FZ1.

Many people have tried this and I want to know if the paint holds fine or if it fades and scratches with ease.

Thanks!

painting heat shields

I painted mine with brake caliper heat paint it comes in many colors. I painted mine black like the 2010 FZ1. Just sand it with a fine grit sand paper around a 360. No problemswith it staying on over the summer last year. Hope it helps.

It's worth a try. If it dosen't work, very little invested. However, I actually purchased a sand blasted and primed end piece and heat shield from a fellow forum member. His experience was the paint peeled when he painted over oem powder coat. He then preped by sand blasting and priming but, ended up buying an after market exhaust.
I'm considering having them powder coated along with a few other bits.

Last edited:
There are a few options that you can use. The toughest is Ceramic coating which comes in quite a few colors and is good to 1800 * C. Most shops that do powder coating will also do ceramic. The stuff is incredibly durable but might be overkill for those parts.

Then of course there is Powder coating which comes in lots of colors and in both standard and "high temp" which will keep it's gloss better on parts subjected to high temps. I discoved this the hard way (expensive way) on a set of headers. If Black is the color of choice most powder coating shops will do it on the cheap for cash when they do a run of other black parts (as long as you bring it in already sand blasted).

Then there is paint as sugested above; If properly prepped (and I would sand or bead blast and prime) Then use a high temp epoxy and properly cure it with UV lights (let it hang outside on a hot sunny day if all else fails). It should be OK if you are careful. The paint will not hold up to boot scuffs or stone chips nearly as well as the other options but will be the cheapest and only one that you can do yourself. Paint can also be removed and reapplied many times as needed if you do beat it up, so it really comes down to what you want to spend in time and money.:2cents:

I could be wrong but aren't the Gen II shields made of ABS plastic? Yes, plastic can be powder coated by the right shop but it costs a lot more.

As fizzyrock states, fine sanding and some high temp paint... good to go! Just remember, dusting coats, not too often, until the part is covered. It will look factory like the '10 model! I might do mine just in case the Two Bros is damaged or fails and I have to put the stock can back on.

I used high temp engine enamel (flat black) and had zero problems after several months.
A light sanding, degrease with Dawn or alcohol, and air dry. That was all the prep work needed. Then do several light coats of paint.
Finish seems fairly tough, but if you do get a scratch, you will have half a can of paint left for easy touch ups. Here's what I used...

Don't have any "after" pics. I bought an MIVV :drools:

Back