Question about flasher for LED turn signals?

RavenFZ1

I ordered Proton flushmount turn signals and from what I have read, if I install these with stock rear signals I will need an aftermarket "flasher" to make them blink at the proper rate. I read that the Tridon 552 [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JZ351M/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000JZ8N8W&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1VRMGSMZ6J2E2JWXGTZT]Amazon.com: Tridon 552C Thermal Flasher: Automotive[/ame] is supposed to be a direct "plug and play" item to resolve this issue, but when I pulled the plug from the stock flasher it looks nothing like this connection.
Through further research I found that this item ELFR-1 Flasher Relay Honda Ruckus - BOWLS is supposed to be a truly plug and play solution and in looking at the connection it does appear to match the factory connection.
So.... why do people say the Tridon 552 flasher is a direct fit item when it isn't... or am I missing something? Thanks.

the tridon is probably plug and play for a car!

If you have a cycle gear near you, try this:
Cycle Gear - SPEEDMETAL: LED Signal Relay,

I have the universal one (they didn't have the yamaha specific one in stock) and it works great. You may want to call to see they have the yamaha one before you go down there--that one is plug and play. They will order it for you if not.

For reference, post #8 on this thread http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-i-mods/6988-unexpected-proton-results.html is where somebody mentioned the tridon 552 and went on to say it is "plug and play". After I saw one in person at the auto parts store I thought the same thing, that this might be plug n play for a car... but not the bike. I ordered this eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices for true plug n play compatibility!

For reference, post #8 on this thread http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-i-mods/6988-unexpected-proton-results.html is where somebody mentioned the tridon 552 and went on to say it is "plug and play". After I saw one in person at the auto parts store I thought the same thing, that this might be plug n play for a car... but not the bike. I ordered this eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices for true plug n play compatibility!

That's the one you want :tup:

No need to change the flasher. I have the Proton flushmounts and they blink at the normal rate.

The Protons blink at the normal rate, but if you combine them with the factory rear signals it will cause the rear signals to blink fast. I installed the elfr-1 relay and now the rear signals blink at the proper rate as well.

I have proton flushmounts as well, you do not need anything extra, they are self regulated... I'll add my rear signals flash at normal rate as well. If you add LED's in the rear, then you probably would need resistors.

I'm not sure what is different about your bike, but for me and others that I have found through searching on the forum the factory rear signals blink fast after installing Protons on the front. It is true that the Protons are self-regulating, but that only guarantees that the Protons will blink at a normal rate, not the rear signals. In other threads where this was discussed the solution was to either install LED signals in the rear along with the Protons up front, or to install the aftermarket flasher. Since I want to keep the factory rear signals for now, the ELFR-1 flasher works perfectly.

Don't know, but my standard rear turners were fine until I put LEDs in those as well, then I added small resistors to slow them down. For whatever reason the existing bulbs were enough to weigh the circuit down at the time.
Glad to hear your issue is resolved.

Back