Question about brakes

a7x3797

So my brakes are not as strong as I want them to be...

I put some new HH pads in which made a bit of a difference, but I still have some softness in the braking.
I see the threads about the R1 calipers and M/C but I am not going to put on an R1 front end so that's out of the question.

So what my question is... are SS lines worth it? Will it be a $100 well spent or should I just save my money and deal with a somewhat squishy brake lever.

*Note: I have tried to bleed the brakes again but it didn't seem to help. I saw somewhere that you should tie the lever tight overnight which will allow any air to float up the the M/C, is this a real thing?

I put some new HH pads in which made a bit of a difference, but I still have some softness in the braking.
I see the threads about the R1 calipers and M/C but I am not going to put on an R1 front end so that's out of the question.

So what my question is... are SS lines worth it? Will it be a $100 well spent or should I just save my money and deal with a somewhat squishy brake lever.

*Note: I have tried to bleed the brakes again but it didn't seem to help. I saw somewhere that you should tie the lever tight overnight which will allow any air to float up the the M/C, is this a real thing?

If your using HH Pads, there would be a very nice upgrade with the SS Lines. Much nicer feel and less pressure needed to stop.

Using braided brake lines will most definitely help. I use Hel braided brake lines.
Have you tried sucking the brake fluid through with a large syringe like you get from pet shops for animal use? Or buy a cheap suction pump kit off ebay. Sucking the fluid works well just keep the brake reservoir topped up..

Thanks for the input, I think I may buy a set of SS lines for the front and then make sure to bleed them properly

It's a nice inexpensive upgrade. Just remember that sometimes with the SS Lines you may have to bleed from the Master Cylinder to get a nice lever. I've had to do that on both the last two bikes.

SS Brake lines are a great upgrade, and if you feel your bike is not braking hard enough I would reccomend a Nissin 19x21 Radial brake Cylinder, the same one that the R1 and other racing bikes are equipped with, don't bother with the brembo as the price is way higher and you don't gain anything.
I installed on mine both the Hel SS lines and Nissin Brake cylinder and the bike now brakes at least 25% better than with the stock setup.

P.s. if you are changing the brake pads use OEM brake pads from Yamaha for the FZ1 don't put any other as I've tried brembo and the feeling was not as strong as with the OEM, aftermarket pads could also damage your brake disks if the compaund is the same as the OEM ones, bear that in mind.

Last edited:
Before spending any money, make sure your brakes are bled properly. One of the best tips I have ever had is to rubber ban your brake lever to the handle bar at least overnight. If you are not sure of your bleeding. Release it the next day and see how it feels.

Before spending any money, make sure your brakes are bled properly. One of the best tips I have ever had is to rubber ban your brake lever to the handle bar at least overnight. If you are not sure of your bleeding. Release it the next day and see how it feels.

Rubber band it with the bleeder or reservoir open?

but is that done in a sealed system or am I opening the M/C or bleeder at the caliper and tying the lever off?

You unscrew the MC lid and just leave a slight gap open to the air. The idea is that squeezing the brake lever will force air to rise up and out of the system, sort of like burping a baby ;)

I have done it several times; it works!

You unscrew the MC lid and just leave a slight gap open to the air. The idea is that squeezing the brake lever will force air to rise up and out of the system, sort of like burping a baby ;)

I have done it several times; it works!

Thanks, Ill make sure to keep that in mind

Back