Putting the bike on the center stand

didier9

I have been unable to put the bike on the center stand the "conventional" way. The gas tank is not even full. I am 210 lbs and almost 6 feet, I should be able to do that...
I almost dropped it.

I was getting frustrated, then I happen to see the ramps I use to check things under the car and thought that might work.

It works perfectly. The engine needs to be running to get the bike to climb the ramp, or you are going to need serious help to push the bike up the ramp. I stopped just at the beginning of the flat area at the top, held the bike with the front brake, put it in neutral and turned off the engine, and the bike went on the center stand very easily.

You shouldn't have any trouble with the centre stand. Maybe check some videos on YouTube for the right technique. My first bike with a centre stand I had a hell of a time until I figured out the correct way to do it

I am 165 lbs and 5`7" [gen 2], I find it`s the easiest bike I have ever owned too place on the centre stand? I just stand on the lever with most of my weight and pull the bike back

Agree with Fishermann322. Unless there is a mechanical problem with your center stand, then it is the technique you;re using that's the problem. The majority of the effort should be in your leg and body weight as you stand on the center stand while gently pulling the bike backwards with your arms and upper body. I mostly pull the bike backwards by the passenger handrail on the rear of the bike.

Last edited:
As above . Assuming you have the s model , stand to the left side of the bike , left hand on handle bar , right foot on stand & right hand on grab rail ,, then push down on stand as you pull bike up with right hand , your left hand is too steady/balance the bike ,,, it should gluide up easily

OP: that's a hell of a lot of effort put forth to get it up on the center stand... considering your size, i'd say your technique is flawed. at only 125lbs, i can even get a goldwing up on its stand. not bragging, just saying it's all in the technique, and that you have enough physical mass to do it. Delbert outlined the proper body positions. i basically put all my weight through my right foot and onto the stand. no need to even touch the ground with your left foot, so long as the bike has both feet of the stand touching the ground.

OP: that's a hell of a lot of effort put forth to get it up on the center stand... considering your size, i'd say your technique is flawed. at only 125lbs, i can even get a goldwing up on its stand. not bragging, just saying it's all in the technique, and that you have enough physical mass to do it. Delbert outlined the proper body positions. i basically put all my weight through my right foot and onto the stand. no need to even touch the ground with your left foot, so long as the bike has both feet of the stand touching the ground.
This for sure, I'm 145 lbs, a little over 5'10". I have no problem getting it on the center stand. Technique is the key. I had to watch a YouTube video myself to learn how.

This guy does it while standing on the bike itself:

https://youtu.be/E324EZCgBZU

Not the way I do it, but pretty cool.

That is how I tried and that just did not work for me.

Thanks for the feedback, definitely it seems my technique (or lack thereof) is the problem.

I will give it another try using your recommendations. I may not have a ramp handy when i need to do something on the bike.

Anyhow, the way I did it is very easy and extremely low risk, as long as your legs are long enough to touch the ground when the bike is up the ramp, which was not a problem for me.

Using the technique described in your responses above, I am concerned that being on one side of the bike only I would be unable to catch it if it were to tip the other way.

OP: that's a hell of a lot of effort put forth to get it up on the center stand... considering your size, i'd say your technique is flawed.

No doubt about my technique :)
However, it is not much of an effort, the engine does the work, and it is very low risk since I sit on the bike the whole time.

That is how I tried and that just did not work for me.

Thanks for the feedback, definitely it seems my technique (or lack thereof) is the problem.

I will give it another try using your recommendations. I may not have a ramp handy when i need to do something on the bike.

Anyhow, the way I did it is very easy and extremely low risk, as long as your legs are long enough to touch the ground when the bike is up the ramp, which was not a problem for me.

Using the technique described in your responses above, I am concerned that being on one side of the bike only I would be unable to catch it if it were to tip the other way.

I put the side stand down before placing the bike on the centre stand, less chance of bike falling over

THREE key things: 1. Make sure the front wheel is pointing straight ahead, if you try to do it with the handlebar turned to one side or the other it makes it very difficult to get it on the stand because the bike wants to rotate. 2. Make sure the transmission is in neutral. 3. Make sure both feet of the centerstand are on the ground when you start the final process of getting it on the centerstand. Just do what has been described and it will pop up on the stand almost on it's own. You just have get the knack of pushing down with your right foot while slightly pulling up and back with your right hand on the grab rail. It really is so easy that even a cave woman could do it.

Last edited:
Ok, I m convinced, I will try again. I have to make sure I don't drop the bike. Maybe I should ask a couple of friends to watch out for me while I try :) Thanks for the encouragements.
PS: Aside from the Harley that was loaned to me a couple of months ago (and that started my quest for another bike), and until I bought the FZ1 last week, the last time I rode was 45 years ago, so don't be surprised if I am skittish...

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

If both feet of the center stand are on the ground and as long as it's level ground the bike will not fall on its right side unless you push it over.

I've dropped mine a couple times when the side stand wasn't completely down as I was dismounting so the bike rolled a bit forward and the side stand retracted and down she went.

I wonder if your FZ1 has LOWERING LINKS in the suspension or something? That would make it much harder.

As others have said, I do the following:
1. With the bike on the side stand, and on level concrete, I grip the left handlebar with my left hand.
2. With my right hand - I grip the front edge of the passenger footrest bracket.
3. Using my right foot, I gently step on the centerstand lever, and the left side centerstand foot touches the ground at his point. (Helps to be wearing thick soled boots.)
4. Still stepping on the centerstand lever, I gently tilt the bike off the side stand and up to verticle. At this point, I can feel the right side foot touch the ground.
5. In one big motion and effort, I place all my weight on my right foot, and simultaneously pull upward and rearward with my right hand. The left hand is simply to keep my balance.
6. I weigh 155, and find that I have to step quite hard on the lever until the bike is up. The FZ1 is still easier than other bikes I have owned.

Well, this week end, a friend spotted the bike for me, standing on the other side, and I was able to put it up as described. I guess I was afraid of dropping it and was not putting enough of an effort. My weight, when properly applied, does the job nicely :)
Now that I have done it, it is indeed quite easy, but you have to time it just right.
Thank you all for tips and encouragements!

WABBMW, the bike appears to be mostly stock. I will take it to the shop shortly for fork seals replacement. I hope the tech will be able to tell me a little more about the bike, what is stock and what is not. I know I want a jet kit too, the exhaust pops during deceleration which usually indicates a lean mixture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the stock exhaust. I do not intend to change it, I like the sound of my bike as it is and it delivers more than enough power :) I read about how most aftermarket exhausts require mods to the AIS or air mixture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back