Putting in a new chain and possible sprocket

You can DOOO it!

If you can change the oil, you can change the sprokets/chain. Call a friend (two brains are better than one...) and break out a six-pack. Heck. Give a shout out and someone from the forum who lives nearby may be willing to help. Take your time and you'll be fine.

I agree with FZ1riderNY on all counts - experience is clear. The only (very slight) disagreement I have is with the clip style master link. I've had 'em on everything from an XL-70 to a CBR1000RR - mostly because I'm too cheap to buy a rivot tool. I'll admit there's a learning curve to getting the clips on and off, but it's not rocket science. Most of the learning curves are easy tricks like tapping the clip on using as screwdriver and hammer once you get the tip set. Anyway, if you put 'em on right, they'll hold up as well as a rivot style master link, otherwise they wouldn't be on the market. But ultimately if you feel better/more comfortable about a rivot style - use 'em!

If you can change the oil, you can change the sprokets/chain. Call a friend (two brains are better than one...) and break out a six-pack. Heck. Give a shout out and someone from the forum who lives nearby may be willing to help. Take your time and you'll be fine.

I agree with FZ1riderNY on all counts - experience is clear. The only (very slight) disagreement I have is with the clip style master link. I've had 'em on everything from an XL-70 to a CBR1000RR - mostly because I'm too cheap to buy a rivot tool. I'll admit there's a learning curve to getting the clips on and off, but it's not rocket science. Most of the learning curves are easy tricks like tapping the clip on using as screwdriver and hammer once you get the tip set. Anyway, if you put 'em on right, they'll hold up as well as a rivot style master link, otherwise they wouldn't be on the market. But ultimately if you feel better/more comfortable about a rivot style - use 'em!

Good point about them being sold these days so you think they'd be safe. A member here and one of my riding buddies, Canonfuji, went with a clip style master link three or four chains ago. We were riding near City Island coming around a traffic circle when all the sudden his chain came sliding off from under the bike. Luckily for him the chain cleared the bike. He recovered the chain to find the Clip missing. The chain itself was fine. It's true, he may have not done it properly but once I saw that I told myself that I'd never go to a clip style master. I suspect that he didn't have it installed correctly but I won't chance it after seeing what happened.

Ordered these and a 15 tooth steel sprocket by "sunstar"(Anyone ever heard of this company?) The current rear sprocket is fairly new so I might just leave it on. Btw, any of you know the angelfire site with all the fz1 tutorials?

Wow. So I think this just looks disgusting. I'm glad im changing this chain up. And does anyone know the part number for the lock washer?
a6936f21-ce64-0f38.jpg

IMHO you should change both sprokets when replacing the chain. It might not be obvious but if the chain is done both sprokets are probably toast as well.
Ordered these and a 15 tooth steel sprocket by "sunstar"(Anyone ever heard of this company?) The current rear sprocket is fairly new so I might just leave it on. Btw, any of you know the angelfire site with all the fz1 tutorials?

I have a new 15t front and a new renthal 50t rear. And a 116 link chain. I would need a different rear sprocket, correct?

I don't think you'll make it with a 50T out back. Your good with 44/45T and the 116 links. I see you went for the exact same chain I'm running. Your gonna love it. Trust me when I say that your front sprocket housing is NOT disgusting. This was disgusting my friend...............................

IMG_2652.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg

Just a side note. If you are changing the front sprocket and chain, you really should change the rear so that everything "wears" as a matched set. A rear sprocket, all steel, costs next to nothing. Just my opinion.

What would be the best rear sprocket size to get if I already purchased a 15t front sprocket. I want to keep it so the speedo isn't effected too much.

Gah.. The new 15t I ordered for the front doesn't fit! So I need to order new front and rear sprockets and I might as well order a new lock washer since I'll have to wait a few days. I want a set up with more torque and wheelie power ;)

Back