Puttering and sputtering

Well you have to know what you are doing, but a shop should have sorted this out in less than 1 hour! I would do it rather myself given that the problem is not solved by the shop asap. I think an ECU failure is most unlikely, a good shop would hook up another ECU to test this (they should have an Fz1 standing around if it is a yamaha dealer) the wire or connectors are more likely and why the heck did you buy china coils, just buy used coils from a crashed R1 they are cheap. I still have 2 lying around they have 6k miles on them I can send them to you for 20$ + shipping. I tested them and they work.

I got it back last week. It's running now. In total it was at the shop 5.5 weeks.

So after a new ECU, and OEM coil caps. it seems to be back to normal.

So for the people that questioned the shop. They are Yamaha certified. They basically tore down the whole bike and rebuilt it. In the process got every piece of the fuel system, compression, valves, cams, checked the entire electrical wiring and just about started from ground zero. Every thing kept checking out and it was still running like shit. They even had checked the spark to the coils before I attempted the chinese coil caps and the original coils spec'd out. I only paid for 2 hours of that work even though they probably put in 3 times that to figure it out for me.

I was talking to another rider and he made mention as some in here that Japanese motorcycles need a stronger spark than what spec says it is. I guess when checking coil caps, they check how far the spark can jump. So maybe that is why they checked ok for spec and not ok in real life. Also the ECU may have been on the way out from the beginning. It's hard to tell because I had ordered the Chinese coil caps off ebay (I did get my money refunded, BTW) and their poor fit could have jumped a spark that shorted the ECU. Also, they allowed me to order from partshark the ECU and caps and bring them in because they knew it was getting expensive. I've heard of other shops forcing people to go through them which would upped the bill at least 20%

Anyway it was an semi-expensive experience, that now I know the rest of the bike is mechanically sound. I have my bike back. Thanks for all those that had input.

For the others, keep in mind that each of us comes from different mechanical experience. This motorcycle is the first time I've ever changed the oil on a vehicle, changed an air filter, even did a tune up. I sometimes get overwhelmed and just push stuff off to a professional because for me it's a stressful experience and I have enough other stuff going on in my life. Even such an easy test as a towel test, I kept walking out to go to work and being like shit I forgot again, ohh well I'm late, gotta go. Or when I was getting home, I would go inside and forget about it because I had things to still take care of. My apologies if it seemed disrespectful to anyone.

Last edited:
Ssky .. Been gone ....
Just found this thread. Lots of misery..... Sorry But I couldn't find in your last note that you finally got it running right - and what the actually problem was. Your note said they tore it down - but that it was still running like crap.
What's the rest of the story? America needs to know.

I got it back last week. It's running now. In total it was at the shop 5.5 weeks.

So after a new ECU, and OEM coil caps. it seems to be back to normal.

So for the people that questioned the shop. They are Yamaha certified. They basically tore down the whole bike and rebuilt it. In the process got every piece of the fuel system, compression, valves, cams, checked the entire electrical wiring and just about started from ground zero. Every thing kept checking out and it was still running like shit. They even had checked the spark to the coils before I attempted the chinese coil caps and the original coils spec'd out. I only paid for 2 hours of that work even though they probably put in 3 times that to figure it out for me.

I was talking to another rider and he made mention as some in here that Japanese motorcycles need a stronger spark than what spec says it is. I guess when checking coil caps, they check how far the spark can jump. So maybe that is why they checked ok for spec and not ok in real life. Also the ECU may have been on the way out from the beginning. It's hard to tell because I had ordered the Chinese coil caps off ebay (I did get my money refunded, BTW) and their poor fit could have jumped a spark that shorted the ECU. Also, they allowed me to order from partshark the ECU and caps and bring them in because they knew it was getting expensive. I've heard of other shops forcing people to go through them which would upped the bill at least 20%

Anyway it was an semi-expensive experience, that now I know the rest of the bike is mechanically sound. I have my bike back. Thanks for all those that had input.

For the others, keep in mind that each of us comes from different mechanical experience. This motorcycle is the first time I've ever changed the oil on a vehicle, changed an air filter, even did a tune up. I sometimes get overwhelmed and just push stuff off to a professional because for me it's a stressful experience and I have enough other stuff going on in my life. Even such an easy test as a towel test, I kept walking out to go to work and being like shit I forgot again, ohh well I'm late, gotta go. Or when I was getting home, I would go inside and forget about it because I had things to still take care of. My apologies if it seemed disrespectful to anyone.

Ssky .. Been gone ....
Just found this thread. Lots of misery..... Sorry But I couldn't find in your last note that you finally got it running right - and what the actually problem was. Your note said they tore it down - but that it was still running like crap.
What's the rest of the story? America needs to know.

Basically new OEM ECU and OEM ignition caps.

Just had new chain, tires, sprockets, fork seals, brake pads and Racetech spring thrown in. Also had spark plugs, air filter and oil done too. I should hopefully be good for another 40,000 miles before something else comes up, well minus consumables.

Back