pushing back - uphill

joeblowe

something silly.
ever found yourself parking in a place and not noticing that there is a slope ahead and nowhere to go ?
a technique - maybe many of you know:
- turn bike off
- put it in gear - holds it in place
- put kickstand down
- go to the front of the bike and put your belly up against the headlight
- straighten the bike
- push it back a little to make sure you can do it - on the slack of the gear
- use the clutch lever as your brake, push the bike uphill, little by little

this is for someone with short legs that may find him/herself in this predicament.

Yup been there, made that mistake but I found standing on the left side and grabbing the clutch and passenger seat handle/grip works easy for my shorts $ss. I will try it your way once and see which is easier. Thanks

OR get a Goldwing with reverse.

Been riding so long it's just habit not to park down hill. I see where you plan would work with the FZ but I would not want to try it wit my FJR.

Lucky for me I have a 34" inseam so this has never been an issue, but thanks for the helpful tips.

Ditto the inseam. Sorry guys I was getting a chuckle reading this. Comfort yourselves knowing that your legs are in a bit less cramped postion than taller riders. Nice solution to the problem though.

Many bike shops move the bikes in the evening by standing in front of the machines and pushing them back inside the building at closing time. Is more convenient than standing on the side and maneuvering it backwards, especially if there is no place to grab with your right hand. FZ1 is good because it has a nice grab handle.

Even with a long inseam a taller bike does not allow enough leverage sitting on it to walk it backward on even a slight forward slope. My solution is to stand on the left side of the bike holding the bars as normal and use the left saddle bag to push against with my back. This only works with a sturdy, chunky saddlebag like what my dualsport has. You would not catch me doing this with the custom painted GIVIs on the FZ.

I like Paul's solution in th OP.

something silly.
ever found yourself parking in a place and not noticing that there is a slope ahead and nowhere to go ?

I had never thought about it until you mentioned it but I never park on a downhill slope unless I have an exit and I always put it in gear and take up the slack before dropping the side stand.

Back