Purchasing FZ1. Advice Please!

I am looking at getting a FZ1 to replace my ole' 2001 Bandit 1200S. I have had my Bandit for a little over 4 years and it has been a flawless bike. It's getting close to 30k miles on it now so I think it's about time to sell it while it's still in perfect mechanical and good physical condition. I have loved the 2006+ FZ1's since the first time I laid eyes on them so it's time to get a used one.

This week I found someone selling a 2008 FZ1 with 17k miles and he wants $4850 for it. It has a FULL Yoshimura R-77 exhaust paired up with a power commander. The bike is in what I call very good to excellent condition.

What my question is. Is $4850 a fair asking price for a bike with the mileage and accessories?

Thanks for your input!!
Half

Seems to be a fair price if the bike runs smooth and service records are up to date. I have 17K plus and other than oill changes, air filter cleaning, brake fluid change and chain lube -just the usual stuff, the bike runs great.

Get it and hang on !!!

A very excellent 2008 with accessories just sold online in Atlanta for 5,000. That was an extremely good deal. Looked brand new in some excellent photos.
So your price is very close, if it is a good bike - - Hard to get much cheaper.

A very excellent 2008 with accessories just sold online in Atlanta for 5,000. That was an extremely good deal. Looked brand new in some excellent photos.
So your price is very close, if it is a good bike - - Hard to get much cheaper.

Sorry - didn't complete my thoughts. That bike had 7,000 miles.
It was pretty.

It is rather likely that if the bike was messed with (pipes, PC3...) that it was run fairly hard. Tires with very narrow chicken strips is also an indication of how hard it was ridden.

Low mileage bikes are easier to find than low mileage cars. This level of bike tends to scare some owners and as such the bike ends up in the garage just covered.

Stay away from the 06 bikes unless you swap out the ECU to a 2010 or later ECU.

Beast

Beast

Hogwash! Just get the FCE ($200) or perhaps a ECU reflash to eliminate the throttle snatch. Heck, all the years are seriously corked up from the factory and throttle snatch wasn't improved enough in the 09 I have ridden (friends bike) to not be a noticeable wart on power delivery. . .The Yosh full system and PCIII on the 08 for sale are excellent MODs and part of the process in turning these bikes into proper performers. Seems like an OK deal to me!

I beg to differ on the chicken strips bit.You can run the tyre to the edge of the tyre doing very low speeds if you like to lean it

It is rather likely that if the bike was messed with (pipes, PC3...) that it was run fairly hard. Tires with very narrow chicken strips is also an indication of how hard it was ridden.

Low mileage bikes are easier to find than low mileage cars. This level of bike tends to scare some owners and as such the bike ends up in the garage just covered.

Beast

Messed with? or improved... These are tough motors and can take being ridden hard. (doesn't mean it has) Chicken strips don't mean anything but the riders ability to corner, my rear tire has no strips within a 100 miles after mounting everytime.
As long as it runs smooth when you look at I would look at getting the extras as a nice upgrade and something you won't have to do.
Good luck.

Half,

I paid $5300 for my 07 FZ1 with 4500 miles on it. The deal you found ($4850) on the 08 sounds like a good one. I would pull the trigger on that deal right away especially with the mods the bike has, the yosh full exhaust is over a grand itself. Good luck.

Chad

Hogwash! Just get the FCE ($200) or perhaps a ECU reflash to eliminate the throttle snatch. Heck, all the years are seriously corked up from the factory and throttle snatch wasn't improved enough in the 09 I have ridden (friends bike) to not be a noticeable wart on power delivery. . .The Yosh full system and PCIII on the 08 for sale are excellent MODs and part of the process in turning these bikes into proper performers. Seems like an OK deal to me!

How does one wash a hog??? :innocent0002:

I think the bike sounds okay. I bought my '06 with 22,000 miles on it. I passed up another '06 with only 4,500 miles on it for the same money because the one I bought was owned by any adult, where as the other bike was owned by a kid and looked tired. Besides, these things will go way past 100K miles.

Half,

I paid $5300 for my 07 FZ1 with 4500 miles on it. The deal you found ($4850) on the 08 sounds like a good one. I would pull the trigger on that deal right away especially with the mods the bike has, the yosh full exhaust is over a grand itself. Good luck.

Chad

I went and saw it today. The owner is in his mid-50's with 3 inches of chicken strips on each side of the tires. lol Super nice guy. He said he's scared to death to lean it over too far. haha

It is extremely well taken care of. He's getting rid of it because he just got a Harley and wanted something tamer. He loved the bike but can't have 2. He used it as a daily commuter. He said he would get on it a little but you can tell it has not been abused.

Holy $hit Batman! It sounds soooo good!!!

Waiting on the money now. He wasn't in a rush to sell so he said he would hold it for a few days for me.

Me want! Me want!

Thanks for the replies guys. It was extremely useful to get all of your inputs to help me make my mind up and feel good about it.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks!
Half

Last edited:
Mid-50's and wide chicken strips.... Thought it might be Norm selling another FZ1! :poke: :scared0016: :lol:

Seriously, that is a GREAT deal and you are wise to take it. Hope you get the cash and buy this right away! Congrats! :bowdown:

RE: New Ride

Hey Half,
Sounds like a killer of deal !! Hope you close on it soon and welcome to the FZ1 world (especially the FZ1Forum) heh,heh,heh
Let the mods begin . . . . . .oooh yeah , , that's what I want, it will look soooo cool . . . . .
:welcome:

17000 on a FZ is nothing. People on this site have logged six figures. Bike looks clean and cared for. You still have 7000 before a valve adjustment. I think you have found your FZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wooohooo!! Loan approved this morning!! Getting Bill of Sale, Insurance, Title, and Pay Stub info to the bank in a little bit. After that the owner is going to drive down to Little Rock so we can complete the transaction. If it's not raining later I will go pick up today.

I know the power on the FZ is more pronounced since it's putting 35-40 more HP to the ground.

I will miss my bandit.. It was a DAMN good bike. The guys at Maximum-Suzuki.com were super nice but I have to say I've been impressed with the participation on this forum.

Heading to the bank now to give them the last of the paperwork.

Later!
Half :)

Back