Progression of Lunacy....a pictorial documentary and random discussion

OK -- I peeked at all the parts this weekend and the color is from PPG (will have to pull #) and I'm really gonna like the end result.

My question to you all (who want to offer an opinion) I'm trying to figure out what to do with the lower fairings. I would like to try and incorporate some black into the pieces -- but I don't want to paint the lowers the same color to match.

I'll get some pictures up for reference, but looking for ideas b/c everything I'm coming up with does not sit right with me....

Always a work in progress.....Thanks,
Adam

What if you did black in the "u" shaped ares up front... and across the bottom of the lowers... kind of like a painted on bellypan?

569d1249318131-progression-lunacy-pictorial-documentary-random-discussion-brohay.jpg

Except... you know.... shiny.. and not crappy looking.

I kept looking at Max Biaggi's bike (red/black aprillia) for the intent and your suggestion allows me to see it.

forks would be black/frame/swingarm. Front fender is the new color and then recoat the CF pieces.....I SEE THE END OF THE TUNNEL....

Now if someone can tell me how to hook up the piece I bought from Uhaul to make my own intergrated turn signals so I don't have to drill holes into this rear tail to accomodate the cateyes.... I could get them to flash once -- but never blink through the tail light (has dual filament bulb)

can you tackle this one as well Aaron??

Adam

Adam

integrating the rear signals into the tail light? is that what you're going for?

5 wires in... 4 wires out type deal? easy as pie...

grab a set of wire cutters and a test light... you tie all of the ground wires together... rt turn signal to rt turn signal in... lft turn signal to lft turn signal in.... running light wire to running light in... brake light to brake light in....

show me a picture of what you got... I'll tell you how to wire it... one of the first things I did to my bike... prolly did it to a few dozen bikes since..

yes -- p/u the part from uhaul to allow the conversion from a 3 wire system to a 2 wire.

If my understanding is correct -- the running light would be on and a the flasher would interrupt the circuit to blink on/off. Brake light would still be the same filament....

bike was originally setup this way -- but had problems with the signal blinking too fast....I have to check and see what flasher I have now for I have Rabeet's LED upfront.

Adam

Last edited:
fast signals don't bother me... so I didn't mess with a resistor... but.. most of the time, the trailer plug (which should be like... 6 wire to 4 wire) has all of the wires labelled... from there, it's a matter of matching things together... and making a few soldered connections..

I didn't get mine from U-Haul... I got this one for $12 at Advance Auto
570d1249321506-progression-lunacy-pictorial-documentary-random-discussion-hoppy.jpg

5 wires in, 4 wires out

Wires In:
Ground
Rt Turn
Lt Turn
Brake
Running Light

Wires Out:
Running Light
Ground
Rt Turn
Lt Turn

(Unit takes Rt and Lt Turn and makes Brake)

But I imagine that they're all pretty much the same..... getting ready to go for a ride... I'll snap a picture or two tonight... in the meantime.. take a picture for me of what you've got... and any wiring diagram or labeled wires on the unit...

Signed up to see the finished product...

Hello All...

I'm the guy who had the extra set of 1st Gen bodywork and a tank which I sold to BroHay. He invited me over to check out his progress.

It does look like the parts went to a good home. :D

Mike

Mike,

You have no idea how good of a home they went to -- glad to see that you are still on two wheels -- should you ever decide to get back on the FZ -- I have extra body parts for the moment....

Adam

What if you did black in the \\\"u\\\" shaped ares up front... and across the bottom of the lowers... kind of like a painted on bellypan?

569d1249318131-progression-lunacy-pictorial-documentary-random-discussion-brohay.jpg

Except... you know.... shiny.. and not crappy looking.

maybe something like this...This way I don't have to go crazy with the black accents and I keep the some of the costs down with having to shoot less

motorcycle_5.jpg

Last edited:
Ok --

trip to the hardware store for some Krylon primer and Satin Paint.

Swingarm/forks/frame are on the agenda. Touch up the spacer on the rear wheel from where I missed the recoat window and got it to orange peel.

Thinking that I'm going to do the frame covers and a portion of the engine/clutch cover to remove the scrapes that PO made and possibly the front sprocket cover and make it look all nice and purdy. The R1 is giving me too many :sinister: thoughts.

I want to get the new parts on -- just going to be a mattter of time availablity to bang it all out......

More pictures to come as I progress.....

Adam

Rust-o-leum (sp) up to 2000F -- I think that should handle it -- I'm trying to pump myself up -- probably do the jet kit tonight b/c it looks like I've sealed the deal for a Penske rear -- and only want to have to tear into this puppy once....

BTW -- Billy Thanks for the links on the stickers -- I'm probably going to end up using them for tank decals as well as the swingarm covers --

Here goes nothing.....

Adam

Rust-o-leum (sp) up to 2000F -- I think that should handle it -- I'm trying to pump myself up -- probably do the jet kit tonight b/c it looks like I've sealed the deal for a Penske rear -- and only want to have to tear into this puppy once....

BTW -- Billy Thanks for the links on the stickers -- I'm probably going to end up using them for tank decals as well as the swingarm covers --

Here goes nothing.....

Adam

Before you going nuts buying decals from the guys I sent you, check out this site that I just got from my package of decals today. graphics race replica decals

Just click on the Yamaha section on the left and check out his stuff. I just received 4 sets from him today and they are excellent quality.

I'm mainly just after the "tuning fork" emblem for right now -- some subtle accents to work my way up to dressing up the lowers.....

Adam

I'm mainly just after the \"tuning fork\" emblem for right now -- some subtle accents to work my way up to dressing up the lowers.....

Adam

Okay, check out the website above. He has the 3/4" as well as the larger Tuning Fork Gel Badge. He's also less expensive and I believe he ships free of charge. At least on Ebay. Just hit his Yamaha link and scroll down to the lower right and you'll see them.

Allright -- short list with dates to follow (going from front to back.... with dates to follow completion -- and congrats/motivation should if I should complete/take too long....)

Paint the forks black
new fork guards
paint the inside of the rotors
clean up front wheel (paint??)
Paint the upper tripple
clean radiator/paint sides
clean/paint front engine mount
two tone the engine cases (to cover up damage from the previous owner)
two tone frame covers
paint swingarm
touch up rear brake mount
clean up rear wheel (paint?)
paint frame
install new plastics
paint lowers
clearcoat Carbon fiber
install Penske (when transaction complete -- Thanks Krispy1!)
AK-20's from Traxxion....

anyone want to add anything??

Adam

Back