Problems with stator & flywheel

jskf16

www.fazerclub.gr
Here is one link from Ηellas fazerclub.gr:
www.fazerclub.gr •

At the link exist some photoes from broken flywheels , some of my friend about 20(..and more) FZ1 they have presented the problem above , also some R1 , R6.

Did anyone known the opinion of Yamaha for this subject ??
We could move itself legally to Yamaha , you know some official email ??

We know the theme about the guarantee other we believe that they is something beyond from this, certain defective pieces!!!

thanks for your answerers...

Last edited:
Here is one link from Ηellas fazerclub.gr:
www.fazerclub.gr •

At the link exist some photoes from broken flywheels , some of my friend about 20(..and more) FZ1 they have presented the problem above , also some R1 , R6.

Did anyone known the opinion of Yamaha for this subject ??
We could move itself legally to Yamaha , you know some official email ??

We know the theme about the guarantee other we believe that they is something beyond from this, certain defective pieces!!!

thanks for your answerers...

That's Greek to me!!! :th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

Sorry I couldn't resist.

I had the same issue. The magnets on my flywheel "unglued" themselves at 23,000 miles and I had to install a new one. I've only heard of one other person with that problem. I asked the dealer who repaired it (small family owned shop, 40 years in business) and he said only one other and it was on an ATV.

I've not seen this as an issue with the R6 nor the FZ6 either.

I know about the Greek (i said look some photoes from broken flywheels) , i am talking about the situation of flywheels , if you knew some else generally ???

They are so many with broken flywheels and are not 2 or 3 or , are many.... , i believe that is impermissible for Yamaha machines !!!!

So thanks for your answers.

I've never heard of another Yamaha Cycle have it's magnets come loose but the harder a machine is used, the more likely it is to have key elements within the motor fail. Whenever the crank and it's associated driveline parts experience abrupt changes in speed, such as dropping the clutch at mid to high RPM, or anything that suddenly stops or slows rotation, parts are bound to start separating. When you consider the number of units sold and the number that have had the problem, it's certainly not something that a lot of riders need to be concerned about.

Last edited:
I understand your example other.....I disagree I have a lot of examples that agreeing with more, I believe that it is one of clean bad material and impermissible to happen also still in very few kilometers.

I understand your example other.....I disagree I have a lot of examples that agreeing with more, I believe that it is one of clean bad material and impermissible to happen also still in very few kilometers.

Could you tell us what the "Symptoms" were for you when this happened? This way we have some insight into what to look for in case someone else has this issue. Thanks.

That is the problem , that you have NO symptoms!!!!
....it breaks and it leaves you there!!!!

Τhe only that you can check are:
1.the charging System
&
2.to open the flywheel to see the condition of magnets , it should ΝΟΤ moved!!!

In our club in Greece , we have about 10-15 FZ1 with broken flywheel , and in different locations other so much and models as R6 , R1 with the same damage!!!
At the 6th & 9th page , we had some photoes from the link in my first post.

Yamaha company here does not undertake nothing , only those who are inside guarantee.

sorry about my English

Last edited:
I don't know how many riders you have in your group but I've been riding street bikes for 46 years now and I've only heard of maybe a couple bikes that spit their generator rotor's magnets and that includes a lot lof brands from Honda to Harley. Usually it's the stator coils that fail. You guys must have the worst luck ever. If you have documented all the failures and brought it to the attention of Yamaha, I can't see how they could just ignore the situation without some kind of explanation of why it seems to be occuring at such a rate in Greece and evidently nowhere else.

I simply understand , here they have been disappointed my friends....for this we make also the conversation!

thanks for your answers....

Well at least you have plenty of miles on your bike so it's understandable that things like that are going to happen. What was your mileage at the time of the incident?

had my generator rotor munch on its magnets a couple of weeks back... 24k miles on the clock.... I'd strongly recommend anyone having this problem and doing it themselves, to strip off the sump and clean it out, just taking the sump plug out isnt enough, the amount of debris i pulled out of my sump was mind boggling! yamaha in their wisdom made the generator housing open to sump, so any debris goes around the bottom end.

total cost of repair:

£270 for rotor gererator
£55 for rectifier (original diagnosis was it had gone pop)
£35 for 4ltr castrol fully synthetic oil
£6 for champion oil filter
and
£10 for gaskets

£376 all in... there goes my bike hire in florida next month... guess ill be doing daytona bike week by car... the shame of it:shame:

had my generator rotor munch on its magnets a couple of weeks back... 24k miles on the clock.... I'd strongly recommend anyone having this problem and doing it themselves, to strip off the sump and clean it out, just taking the sump plug out isnt enough, the amount of debris i pulled out of my sump was mind boggling! yamaha in their wisdom made the generator housing open to sump, so any debris goes around the bottom end.

total cost of repair:

£270 for rotor gererator
£55 for rectifier (original diagnosis was it had gone pop)
£35 for 4ltr castrol fully synthetic oil
£6 for champion oil filter
and
£10 for gaskets

£376 all in... there goes my bike hire in florida next month... guess ill be doing daytona bike week by car... the shame of it:shame:

I know it sucks, but you got off easy since you got the parts and did the work yourself. Imagine if you had paid for it all at a dealership :eek5:

As for Daytona...just charge it :D

I know it sucks, but you got off easy since you got the parts and did the work yourself. Imagine if you had paid for it all at a dealership :eek5:

As for Daytona...just charge it :D

id be a damn more out of pocket! labour rates are about £50p/h here if you want a decent job done, and knowing how long it took me to do all the work in zero/sub zero temps, i guess i could add about another £200/300

id love to charge the bike hire for daytona, but, i cut my card up just so i dont spend on it.... this recession sucks

We had more FZ1 again with the same problem:cry:
www.fazerclub.gr •
...one of my friend , has posted a photo from FZS1000 (gen1) about the magnets which have a protection all around inside of flywheel as he said.To the new FZ1 as you see does not exist this protection.
We are talking about motorcycles between 24.000km and 50.000km untill now!

Last edited:
Back