Problem starting with PCIII fitted

recently fitted a PCIII to an '09 and starting (especially form cold) now takes many more turns of the engine on the starter before it fires into life. Dyno jet advise me to start the bike while the jets are priming immediatly after you turn the ignition on.

Two questions

1. does anyone know why the PCIII has introduced this problem
2. does starting the bike while the pump/jets are priming cause a problem?

tks

I cannot answer about the PC III but I do know that starting the bike while it is priming doesn't hurt it. Yamaha doesn't state one method or another. Most people simply wait.

It sounds like your current map is too lean for the idle setting to me though.

No experience with PC III, but I have PC V installed. Make sure that you set the throttle opening and closing points and also that your 0% table is zeroed out as a starting point.

Have not heard of this problem. As others have stated, make sure your opening and closing points are correct. Turning the key to make the fuel pump and rail prime should always makes things a little easier, but there is no harm in just turning the key and hitting the button.

im having the same problem too.. after having my PC3 installed (dyno website map) + o2 sensor unplug + gutted cat... b4 tat i onli press igition button abt a second it will start up.. now it took 2sec or more den it start... :(

I am starting to suspect it is in some way related to when the PCIII gets power applied to it. I've monitored the PCIII on turning the ignition on and when the fuel pump primes it has power on it. once it stops power goes. I'm going to try and connect an external power source to it later today to see if that makes a difference. My worry is more about un due strain/use of the starter as it clearly takes twice as long to start the bike as it does without the PCIII. Or do people think i'm worrying needlessly?

I am starting to suspect it is in some way related to when the PCIII gets power applied to it. I've monitored the PCIII on turning the ignition on and when the fuel pump primes it has power on it. once it stops power goes. I'm going to try and connect an external power source to it later today to see if that makes a difference. My worry is more about un due strain/use of the starter as it clearly takes twice as long to start the bike as it does without the PCIII. Or do people think i'm worrying needlessly?

Well how long exactly is it taking to start now? Did it go from 2 seconds to 5 seconds? If so I wouldn't worry about it. Don't think you're going to hurt the starter unless you're continuously cranking it over for like 30 seconds at a time.

it went from 1 second to about 3. when i put an external power source on the PCIII it goes back to 1 second. Figure for now i'll leave it as the bike does feel smoother with the PCIII on and as you say i figured it was not over the top for a few extra turns befor it fires up

What happens if you wait a few extra seconds after you turn the key to "On" before hitting the "Start" button? The PC III might need a few extra seconds to boot up before it can do it's job.

No good i'm afraid but tks for the interest. Seems as soon as the rev counter needle returns to the stop after priming the pump all power goes from the PCIII and it takes 3-4 seconds to get it back and fire it into life. I'v started to hit the button now as the needs starte to retun and the starter motor barely turns and the bukes fires into life from cold. much quicker/better than allowing it to prime then hitting it with the PCIII fited.

Had little joy from Dyno and their tech support. They sent me a "code" to enable the PCIII to take control after 20 revs but that made no difference as the bike needs to be running for that to take effect.

Back