Power Pilot 2ct issues..

Prongomatic

Power Pure tire issues..

Hello
I currently have Power Pure tires installed on my Gen 1. Recently I have noticed hash marks completely around the center "Chicken Strip" of the rear tire. Now both tires were installed 3 years ago and have about 2.5-3K miles of wear. The hash marks are only on the rear tire. I check the chain slack and tire pressure weekly. I do not haul around any passengers or any excess weight. My suspension is stock, I do not race, the tire angle is straight and there is plenty of tread left. I have contacted the Tire distributor and sent him pictures and I am waiting his response. The original dealer where I got the tires went out of business.
Has anyone seen these hash marks develop on their tires? If so why?

Last edited:
The first thing I notice about your photo is that is not a Pilot Power 2CT:

anvelope-touring-Michelin-Pilot-Power-2.jpg

I believe that tire is a Power Pure:

michelin-Power-Pure-Rear.jpg

This may help find an answer to your problem more easily.

Last edited:
Thanks. I appreciate the link. I sent some pics to a local independent shop. They have a Michelin distributior that comes in once a week. If he can't help then ill keep going up the chain. I hardly ride because I'm always traveling. But with only 3.5k in 3 years I shouldn't have cracks yet.

Hard acceleration? Of course I rev it up now and again, but what would be considered "Hard"? Also I've had dry rotted tires before. The cracks started on the sidewalls not the center of the tire.

I think you're trying to compare the Pure to other tires you've had. The pure is extremely light in comparison to the power. Its extremely sensitive to tire pressure, and heats up quickly. It looks like you mostly ride the center of the tire.

This is interesting. The cuts look very similar to chevron cuts that are quite common on aircraft tyres. Here is a pic of a tyre off a Boeing 737.

attachment.php

These cuts are normally not an issue on aircraft but of course aircraft tyres are subject to very different operating conditions to that of a motorcycle tyre. I would definitely investigate the problem on your bike and I would be interested to hear what the Michelin rep has to say.

Good points.
I'm just bummed that its dry rotted. I like to take care of my things and I thought I stored it properly while I was deployed. Time for a new tire :-/

Why are you assuming that it is defective? Personally, I dont think that you should be conserned about it.
My experience with Michelin is that you may be waiting a while for a response that be vey definative.
Ride more, worry less.

I finally got the word from the good old Michelin reps..
The first rep send me a memorandum that stated that the longitudinal tire stripes were manufactured to dissipate static electricity from the tires. I asked him what about the weird chevrons on the tire state that they were manufactured?
Obviously he didn't look at the picture or he just didn't care.
The second rep stated that this wear is common and that it's nothing to be alarmed about. He couldn't convince me to the cause and nature of the wear. He also stated that the tires that I have mounted are more of a racing compound and that it's preferably for the track. WTF?
I thought Michelin with all of their history and track records knew how different variables effect their products.
My bike will sit for the next 6 months while I'm away at FT. Benning, so when I return I'm going to make the move to Pirelli's.

What is the production date on the tire? It's the last for digits of the DOT. The first two numbers is the week of production and the last two is the year. It's possible that the tire may be older then 3 years and what your experiencing is deteriorating rubber. Any tire over 5 years of age no matter the amount of tread is considered non serviceable. Michelin makes nice motorcycle tires.

Back